Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys bond with your cats? Little Miss M is following me around and seems to want more attention, but I am at a total loss as to how to give it to her. I sit down to pay attention to her, and we both end up just looking at each other like, now what? Feeding time and play time I get, but she seems to be trying to tell me she needs more. Dogs I get, but this little kitten confuddles me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just try to pet her. Or try to reward and tame her with small kitty treats. When did you get your kitty?

My Ginfis follows me also everywhere I go, but she doesnt seem to be so motivate to sit on my lap when I want to pet her. But on the other side when I lie in my bed she jumps directly on me and requires some kitty hugs.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just try to pet her. Or try to reward and tame her with small kitty treats. When did you get your kitty?

My Ginfis follows me also everywhere I go, but she doesnt seem to be so motivate to sit on my lap when I want to pet her. But on the other side when I lie in my bed she jumps directly on me and requires some kitty hugs.

I got her at the end of September at 3-4 weeks old when someone decided to dump her and her sister on my doorstep. I pet her, brush her, and hold her. Something just seems to be missing.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
It depends on which of my cats comes for attention.

If MowMow approaches me then he wants to be kissed on his face/head and held. We'll rub our checks together and he'll headbutt my lips and press his head there until I kiss it. He wants me to stroke his face and scratch his ears for him. He rubs against my hand and presses the base of his ears against my fingers hard. If he's kneading and purring he likes me to gently jiggle his fat pooch (that's the only time the action is permitted).

Now if I do that stuff to Shepherd Book he howls pitifully like I'm killing him. He thinks mommy kisses are corrosive and melt fur and flesh. If he approaches me he wants to lay near me or on me (if I'm in bed) and I MIGHT be able to massage his neck once or twice but if I do more than that he leaves. He just wants to be near me. Just in the last few weeks he has been approaching me more and more to be held but that's ONLY if I don't pet him too much. If I do, he leaves.

I do talk to mine all the time and they both seem to love that. MowMOw answers me and now Shepherd Book has started getting more vocal and talking to me. When I start cooing at him he rolls onto his back and acts all cute.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I've got an in-your-face cat too, and almost without exception when I get down on the floor to pet him, he gets up and walks away. Goof.

Have you tried brushing your kitty? It took some time for Murphy to get used to being brushed, but he now loves it and I actually enjoy doing it. It's our girly bonding time. :)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I agree with MowMow...depends on the cat. First off, cats are not like dogs. They want love and attention on their own terms. They will not beg shamelessly to be validated. They come up to you and try to teach you what they want, and if you don't get it, they will walk away from you (insert what they must be thinking...lol). I guess they are giving us time to mull it over.

With my cats, Egypt will headbutt me on my face and want to be petted and scratched near her face, head, and chin. She's not a big fan of petting in the lower half of the body and definitely nowhere near her paws. Every once in a while if she's feeling particularly relaxed, she will lay on her back for belly rubs. I am only allowed to be this affectionate when we're alone. Every now and again, she also likes to be picked up like a toddler (under the pit of the front legs) and hugged closely and rocked back and forth like a baby. When we are around the other cats, she acts very aloof...don't ask!

Azalia is like a dog. She comes up to you and wants to be petted very vigorously everywhere. She purrs, and shortly after drools. She also shakes like dogs do. It's quite funny. If she really likes you, she will begin licking you for hours if you let her. If you don't give her attention, she will headbutt you once and then bite your hair real close to the scalp to tug on it. I call it her "Hey, Dummy! Pet me now" signal :)

Lacey just plops right on top of you and follows you around wherever you go. She's a cuddler so she wants to be as close as possible in a little ball. When she wants to be petted, she puts her paws together and will grab your hands and put her face under your hands. It's like if you can't get the message now, there is just no hope for you...lol

And finally Sasha, he is a bit skittish unless he knows you. He hides when strangers come over. Once he warms up to people, he walks in and brushes against your hand. If he sees you are ok with it, then he will jump on your lap and wait until he's petted. Once he's done with you, he will jump off and go play. If you're still there later, he will jump right up on you for short bits and then go off to play. Eventually, he will nap on you if you let him also. He likes to be stroked along the body from head to tail, but he's not like the other cats that raise their tail in approval. He makes YOU do the work. He definitely knows who his cat slaves are ;)

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Groom kitty, that's how they bond with Momma, when you groom them they will come to think of you as their mother.
Every night at bed time Samantha would join me on the bed and I would give her a thorough combing, she loved to be combed and as a long haired cat she need all the loose excess hair removed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Libby likes to be pet as she walks by. She also loves being held and snuggled as we stand in front of the window.

Annie (kitten-4 months ish) just wants to plaaaaaaaayyyyy! (or wants more food) :) she is starting to crave snuggly time too. She's tougher for me to figure out, as she likes to just talk/meow.

Since you got her so young, she probably didn't get much (if any) momma cat/baby cat time. Try and groom/brush her while cooing etc

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Get down on the floor with your kitty. I aly on my side on the floor and they come over and head bump/body rub me.

I also ocassionally sit on the floor looing out the window with them.

On top of the usual play sessions

1 - 10 of 10 Posts