Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grocery store actually had rabbit today, no head and not full limbs but the whole torso and some parts of legs, not sure how much I haven't unwrapped it yet. I was wondering which bones can be handled by a cat (9 pound cat, not all that big). I've heard ribs are fine, just wondering what you thought. Whatever he can't eat I'll see if my aunt will allow her dog to eat them.

and as a side question: is it important for cats to get a decent amount of red meat, I know it has iron but I know nothing about cat iron requirements. As of now Willie gets mainly white meat (chicken, turkey and pork, rabbit is considered white too I believe) and I was wondering if I should force the red meat issue even though he seems not to like it very much (at least not steak or venison).

·
Registered
709 Posts
We feed whatever parts of the bunny.. the cats tend to not eat the leg bones (back) and spine but I made sure they get them. Great for their jaw and very good for them to work at, keeps them thinking!

As for the red/white meat.. we feed primarily red meat (lamb and beef) because they are the things we get most often for free/cheap. We also feed quite a bit of rabbit (started to butcher our own now) to round things out. I was always told cats naturally would never eat red meat.. but ours are doing fine! I think that the key is just to keep it interesting. Feed a variety!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Darius can make it through the bones in the hind leg. He actually got a rabbit leg this morning. It takes him about fifteen minutes and there is a lot of bone crunching, but he finishes every single bit. Weight bearing bones are tougher, but a devoted kitty would have no problems.

Forgot to add that Darius also weighs 9lbs ^_^

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I cut up the rabbit this morning, I'll let it freeze for a while and then we'll see what he is able to chew through.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Muzby how do you butcher it?

I've been considering giving it a go since I know where I can get whole rabbits. I have not been able to find any rabbit meat anywhere...and from what I've heard kitties love it. It may also help solve my organ finding issues...bonus!

*sighs* Now I just have to overcome the cute fuzzy bunny thing...and the gross factor. But I bet I can do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts