Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in "Cats in Need". I decided to post it here, because "Cat Chat" gets more traffic.

My son and I walked to Target last night because I had to grab a few cans of wet cat food for our cats. As we were walking, a female kitten, approximately 3 - 4 months old, ran in front of us on the sidewalk. She scared me to death because she appeared out of nowhere. My son and I stopped to play with her, then continued on our way. I noticed that the kitten was following us. We had to cross the street and I thought that she'd stay at the corner. She didn't. She crossed the street with us. But this time, I had made up my mind, if she was still following us by the time we got to Target, I would feed her. She stayed with us the whole time. My son stayed outside with her while I bought the cat food. I came back out and gave her some food. When she was done eating, we started to walk back home. Again, she followed us. I thought for sure that she would go back to where ever it was that she came from since she had a full tummy. Nope. She continued to follow us. In fact, she followed us to our townhome! We had to pick her up when we crossed the final street, but she stayed with us the whole time. When we did get home, I called the shelter to see if they could pick her up because there was no way I could keep her. Unfortunately, they were closed for the day, but they told me I could call the next day. We were going to set up the carrier on the patio with warm towels and blankets and have her sleep there until the morning, but it was expected to rain overnight. So I made the decision to sneak Boo (as we now named her) in the house so that she could be picked up in the morning. Below is a map of the area where we live. I included a brief explanation on the map as to how far Boo followed us.

Boo is such a sweet little girl. She purred the whole time she followed us, the little bit of time she spent in our house and while she ate her breakfast this morning. She's a snuggler and biscuit maker. She's very playful. She went crazy over a ball made from paper and played "Attack the Q-tip" with a q-tip that was on my son's floor. When I went in his room to bring her her breakfast, she was snuggled up against his back, fast asleep. She has beautiful coloring. She's a brown mackerel/ticked tabby. While her stripes and spots are very distinct, her fur had very distinct bands of color. She was picked up about an hour and a half ago. I can't keep her...even though she would have been a perfect fit and a perfect playmate for Momo. My ex-husband has set his foot down. Four cats is more than enough. I know that if he had had a chance to see Boo, he would have fallen in love with her, too.

Here's where I need your help. Since I can't keep her, I'm hoping anyone in Southern California could try to adopt her. The Animal Control officer gave a control number for Boo so that I could call and check on her. If anyone is interested, the phone number is (909) 623-9777 and her control number is C203766. We don't have any pictures of her because my daughter's camera doesn't have batteries. I hope someone can adopt her...

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cooncatbob, it was about 10:30 in the evening when I went to Target. She was skinny and her poor little baby paws had calluses. If she had an owner, it was someone who didn't give a rat's patootie about her. She's a young thing, approximately 3 months old. There's no way a kitten that young would be out there unless she was a stray.

I'm missing her so much right now. When the ACO came to pick her up and my daughter put her in the cage, Boo looked so scared. I couldn't help it, I started crying. I hope she gets a clean bill of health and gets adopted right away.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Personally, if theres ANY possible way... id say she already adopted you guys :p but thats just me.

(funny, the starving little thing that we found ironically at a pet store that doesnt sell pets, is Boo). She was there when they opened the s tore, must have smelled the food and waited. In my parents go to buy dog shampoo and next thing you know...... hehehe :)

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Claiken, I WISH I could keep her, but since I'm living with my ex-husband, he has drawn the line at four cats. He doesn't even know that Boo was in the house for that one night.

But there is good news! She'll be going up for adoption tomorrow morning at 9:45 am. I'm going to keep calling and checking on her. I hope that she's adopted quickly. She's such a beauty and a little love bug. Whoever gets her will be so lucky.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Did you work anything out like if it came down to, you know, the bad shelter deed... that you would make (at least temporary) arrangements instead? if for some reason i ever had to give anyone up, i would definately have that rule in place.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I called them earlier today to check up on her and to find out if they've posted her picture on their website, but I got voicemail instead. When they call back tomorrow, I'll ask them how long she'll be available for adoption before they consider the bad shelter deed. If no one has adopted her by then, I'll find a way to get the $95 adoption fee and I'll adopt her. I don't know why this little girl is affecting me so much, but I can't stop thinking about her.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I hope she gets adopted out soon, she sounds so sweet. My heart was breaking a bit when I read the story, but it's so kind that you were able to pick her up and help out in any way you can.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alpaca, she is sweet. I just hope that she still has that going for her after being in a metal cage after a nice warm bed (with a warm human, too). She's still up for adoption and they don't have her picture up on the website yet. As soon as they do, I'll post it here and on my Facebook page. I want her to be adopted so bad. I WISH I could, but my ex reiterated the "no more than 4 cats" rule. I just hope that the shelter gives her a few weeks to get adopted. I wish I knew their turnover rate.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Awe, your story definitely tugged at my heart strings.....I sincerely hope she gets adopted. I know what it's like having a cat affect you....Jackson and Moe have definitely done the same with me.

It's really hard when they affect you in such a profound way and you want nothing more then to help them. My heart goes out to her and I will pray she finds her forever home.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I keep checking the shelter's website to see if her picture has been posted...but no such luck. I just hope that she's not so scared that she's cowering in the corner of her cage and not letting anyone see her. That would certainly shorten the time she'd be up for adoption before the "deed" is done. And I'm trying to figure out a way to get the money to get her. Like you, I'm a stay-at-home mom and unemployed. I know my ex-husband won't give me the money. I might have to tell him that I'd only foster her until a cat rescue can find her a home. That way he would know that she'd only be here temporarily. Who knows?

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, the shelter finally put her picture up, though I don't know why they have her listed as being 1 year old, because she's definitely younger than that and I could have sworn she was lighter in color. Anyway, they changed her name to Lady, but she'll always be Boo to me. Unfortunately, they can't let me know when she'll (if ever) get scheduled for the "deed". That decision is on a day-to-day basis.

Here she is:

And here's the actual link to her:

Inland Valley Humane Society and S.P.C.A.. - Lady - I1145186

If you know of anyone in Southern California, specifically in the Inland Valley, who is looking for a sweetheart of a kitty, please direct them to:

The Inland Valley Humane Society & SPCA
500 Humane Way
Pomona, CA 91766
(909) 623-9777

Her future is uncertain and so far, no one has expressed an interest in her. It would kill me if she has to be put down.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Renee - have you thought to snag a copy of her photo and put it on the local craigslist with a description of how sweet and brave she is??? She looks like a total darling...

Gosh, for that matter maybe she's a lost kitty and her family can find her!

I hope this works out...

Fran

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I will keep my fingers crossed for Lady Boo, but well, we all know what happens when they are no longer considered kittens anymore and if they are listing her as 1 year old, but the glass is still half full so....hoping for the best!

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh my, I hope she gets adopted...the idea of them putting her down just because noone wants her makes me sick.

:(
I hope someone adopts her, too. I look at her picture and I just cry. I want her so bad, but the finances and living situation prevent it. It's too late for me to call about today, but I'll call again in the morning. I have to somehow convince my ex to let me get her. And I swear this would be the last kitty I'd get until I move out. I can't get her out of my mind. :-(

·
Registered
83 Posts
Awe, now I'm really in tears seeing her picture....I really hope someone adopts her or you can save her.....she's adorable. I will pray that something good happens for her.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I hope someone adopts her, too. I look at her picture and I just cry. I want her so bad, but the finances and living situation prevent it. It's too late for me to call about today, but I'll call again in the morning. I have to somehow convince my ex to let me get her. And I swear this would be the last kitty I'd get until I move out. I can't get her out of my mind. :-(
Oh gosh, go get her. Save her, and don't do this to yourself. You can find a home for her later, don't you think? But if she dies there, you'll never forgive yourself.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I had the money, I would. But then even if I did, my ex wouldn't let me bring her in. He is adamant on 4 cats being the limit. Which I understand...I guess. :-(

·
Registered
83 Posts
Awe, that's really very sad. Noone you know, like family or friends can help her?
Sad to think about her scared and alone in that cage and hoping someone will come save her and knowing you want her, but you're financial and living situation is preventing it.

I understand about the living situation....I live in an apartment complex where I can't have cats or anymore then one small dog and I had two dogs and had to reluctantly let one of my dogs go, thankfully my mom took her for me so I could still see her and she is well taken care of. I also wanted to take Jackson and Moe in myself, got really attached to both of them and was heavyhearted that I couldn't, but, was greatful to find them both good homes and Jackson I see regularly and Moe I know will be taken good care of.

Again, I am still praying for her...can't believe noone has showed interest in her, she's a beautiful cat, poor baby.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts