Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitty is 1 years old. He gets bored so easily. I'm struggling to try and keep him active. I've been warned that they will sleep all day and get fat if you don't. He stopped playing (for the most part) when I got my second kitten. They were only 2 months apart. I try buying toys, kitty condo's. What ever it will take. Any suggestions? I'm to the point where I take baths just because he likes to lick the bubbles. I use my exercise equipment more because he likes to ride on the back of it. I play pool so he will chase the balls. And just this weekend, I let him play in the toilet because I know it will make him happy and amused. As you can see, I hit rock bottom.

My second kitten on the other hand is a Momma's boy. He will play with anything.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well most adult cats sleep all day and most of the night. I have four and most of them just eat what they need and don't get overweight. Occasionally I need to shift their diet if one is getting piggy and gains a bit, but none of mine have had extreme problems with their weight (a vet is the best one to ask about whether a cat is overweight or not).

At one year old your cat is a bit young to be so sedentary, but it's partly personality (as you've already noticed). It sounds like most of the things you've been doing to entertain him have a positive effect for you (getting exercise, relaxing baths, playing pool) so why not just enjoy your mutual interests and relax about having him stay completely kitten like? Cats are supposed to sleep a lot. It's their nature. Love him the way he is, sleepy and cuddly.

If you are determined to roust him I'd recommend cat dancer, da bird, and laser pointer for best bet toys. Cat geared videos and/or leaving a radio on during the day if you aren't home might keep him a bit more active too. A birdfeeder outside is always a good distraction!

Have you switched him over to adult formula foods and do you feed only the recommended servings for his size? Adult cat food is designed for a normal (i.e. sleeping :D ) cat.

~Heather

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do cats get jealous?

Thank you for your reply. I feel like he is depressed. He is very curious and would love to be an out door cat.

Do cats gets jealousy? I try hard to play with both of them with the different things they like. But if I play with Kitty, then Ditto will come in and play too. Then kitty will walk away and sit back and watch.

People think I try too hard to accommodate them. But when their whole world revolves around you, how can you not.

I did put them on adult light, (Science diet). I have a 4 lb feeder because I tend to travel a lot. I'm watching them closely to see if I have to resort to monitoring it. That is why I'm desparate to keep them active. (Don't worry, when I'm on travel, they have a Nanny to keep them company.)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well it could be he's still adjusting to the new cat addition and is subdued. It does take a while. Maybe once he's more used to her he'll have some interesting adventures with her inside. My cats interact a lot during the day. Do they have a way to sit and look outside? My cats love the window hammocks or a cat tree by a window, but any good perch-like furniture is good. Can you open windows for him and let him enjoy outdoor smells and sounds?

I understand wanting to accomodate them. Trust me, my cats are very well spoiled! :D We put in a screen porch so that they can enjoy the outdoors safely (we use it too of course but they benefit the most).

Cats do get jealous, but the playing interaction might just be that he's intrigued by the play. Most cats seem to take turns playing if they have any manners (and not all do!).

I'd say continue to take good care of them and monitor their weight. You can weigh a cat using a normal scale if you weigh yourself alone, then weigh yourself holding the cat, then find the difference. If they appear to be gaining too much you can talk to a vet.

There are also feeding bowls with timed lids that open with only enough for one day serving. I'm not sure how much they cost though.

My cats are more sedentary when we're gone. I also think they eat less though. Most cats will only eat what they need. There are exceptions.

~Heather

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
If you want your cat to not gain weight you may want to change them over to regular dry foods instead of light food. Light food supposedly will make a cat gain more weight because of the higher carb content.

Hope you find a toy that your kitty likes. Da Bird and the laser toy seem to have some really good reviews :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts