Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spaz and Keeter have been on dry food their whole lives. They both have always turned up their noses at wet food every time it was offered. But last night..while at Walgreens, I decided to give it another try and picked up a can of Fancy Feast flaked food. I know it's not the best brand out there..but it was after midnight and the pet stores were closed (I work 2nd shift, and it was after work).

So we get home..and I figure I'll wait until today to try to feed it to them...but my bf said let's do it now. I was apprehensive, but we got 2 plates and put about a teaspoon on Keeter's and half a teaspoon on Spaz's. Both of them kind of sniffed around on it for a few minutes, but finally started licking and then eating it!!!! Neither of them finished what was on their plates, but they only left a little bit!

I'm so excited because I really want to get them both on canned food, I just hope they'll continue to eat it and it doesn't make Spaz sick since she has such a sensitive stomach. I plan on going to the pet store in the next day or so to see if they have any of the good brands that people have been mentioning here. It sounds like Chicken Soup or Wellness may be two of the best from what I've been reading, so hopefully Petco will have one of those. If not, I may have to search around some of the smaller places.

Thank you all for showing me the benefits of wet food vs dry...I've always thought dry was superior until I came here and saw I was misled!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are exactly what I needed!! Thank you SOOOO much!!!

Turns out I'm heading to my mom's before work today and one of the places that sells Chicken Soup is at a petstore in her neighborhood. So I believe I'll just have to make a little pit stop! :)

Wellness is apparently only sold in one store in Memphis, but it looks like they also sell Chicken Soup so I may be making a trip to that store this weekend.

Thanks again for those links!!! Saved me a trip to Petco only to find out they don't even sell them!

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
My cats love Wellness, you may also want to try to see if they have Innova at the small pet stores or Nutro Natural pouches(which can be found at Petco/Petsmart). Both my cats really like those brands :lol:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
jvan71

Let me know if your cats like the Chicken Soup canned.
I have 21 cans of it here that my cat will not touch...
I just bought them less than a month, I will give you a great deal!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a link on another post about getting samples of super premium foods, so I went ahead and ordered 2 sampler packs that contain dry and wet food so we could make sure both cats get any special needs met that they need.

I'll definately let you know about the Chicken Soup canned, BoscosMom!

Oh and last night...Spaz didn't even touch the canned...so 1st day she ate it...last night nothing. :( Maybe tonight she'll try it again.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
jvan71,

It took Bosco a while to finally realize that this was all there was to eat.
First he would eat it and then he would not....it takes time and patience.
When he was skipping all his meals, I would put about 20 kibble bits into his bowl, but then he has to wait until his next meal, then more wet food.
He finally got the hang of it!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I, too, had to make a transition to wet food, in order to get my 8-yr. old to lose some weight (he's 23 lbs.). At first, he just sort of looked at the food, and sniffed furiously. Eventually, he gave in and chowed down. He's on an exclusively wet diet now, and has been for about a week and a half now.

His fur is like silk, his eyes are brighter and he just seems healthier. I don't know if there is any weight loss happening, but I am sure it is soon to follow.

I feed both my cats either Nutro Max Cat wet food or Felidae. I love the fact that Felidae is for both cats and kittens in one food, so I don't have to worry so much about them eating each other's food!

As for a website, I found this one:

http://www.nationalpetpharmacy.com/

Great prices and selection!

Lisa :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts