Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well there goes my break from fostering for a few weeks. My cousin found these three trying to nurse on a deceased mama. We think she passed away birthing as there are only 3 and the umbilical cords are all attached still. One has a tiny head, and another has a deformed looking face. We'll see as they grow if anything is permanent or if it hurts them. So far they've survived the first 24 hours and are screaming louder than donkies at feedings :)

Two black males, one dilute calico female

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Bless their little hearts, I hope that it all turns out ok.

RIP Momma.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Poor babies, keep us posted on them....at least they have a chance being with someone who knows what to do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
They're all very cute. It's so sad their mama died, but now they have a new mama who will take very good care of them. You're an angel.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They're doing great! One definitely has some airway complications, we're waiting though to see if he grows out of it. His nares are tiny and he's aspirated twice already without rushing the bottle. Luckily a vet once taught me a quick solution for choking kittens, grip firmly but not squeeze, hold fingers around shoulders with the head facing away from you. And swing once between legs (mind the floor!). After that initial jolt they start to snorkle and snuffle and a bit of vigorus rubbing helps them cough the rest out. :(

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Poor little ones, I hope they all pull through!

Any chance you can get a decent picture of all their faces? It might be good to document...plus then when they're bigger you can send the baby pics with their adoptive family :)

...I may show Muffin and Doran baby pictures of themselves and make a big fuss telling them how cute they were when they were tiny. They LOVE it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
aw, glad they are doing good! I used to work in a vets office and we did an emergency c- section on a dog. We had to do the same maneuver with the puppies to get them breathing, since they were under the same anesthesia as the mom. Scary but it works!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Poor little ones, I hope they all pull through!

Any chance you can get a decent picture of all their faces? It might be good to document...plus then when they're bigger you can send the baby pics with their adoptive family :)

...I may show Muffin and Doran baby pictures of themselves and make a big fuss telling them how cute they were when they were tiny. They LOVE it.
Sure, I haven't named them yet but here's face shots. I have male 1 (with a big nose and small nares, he also has a white spot on his chest), male 2 who has a normal face and doesn't make any noises, eats like a horse though. The female has a pretty normal face, but I have a feeling her eyes aren't developing correctly.

Female

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz226/ladydogcd/3kittens
/040_zps181f083b.jpg

Male 1

Male 2

both males squishing sister!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
aw, glad they are doing good! I used to work in a vets office and we did an emergency c- section on a dog. We had to do the same maneuver with the puppies to get them breathing, since they were under the same anesthesia as the mom. Scary but it works!
I started my career as a vet tech volunteering for spay-days at the emergency clinic (the vets used closing hours for spays, emergency hours after 5pm). I learned how to do CPR on dogs, cats, ferrets, wildlife, and on parrots. Then I learned how to tube feed bottle-feeders that couldn't suckle, 10 seconds after that I learned how to do the maneuver to get the fluid out of the lungs that I'd pumped in there (luckily it was just plain fluids for my practice run!). I've been bottle feeding for a while now, probably 150 kittens in the past year and a half.. knock wood, I've only lost 5 or 6 and most to defects.

Thank goodness you know how to take care of these little ones!
Lots of practice! At least they aren't squirrels, squirrels screech so loudly when they are hungry.

·
Registered
804 Posts
<3 Even with his abnormal face I think male 1 is adorable... they all are! I hope his respiratory issues correct themselves and that the little girl doesn't have eye problems :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts