Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else's cat do this? One minute they're calm as ever, then the next minute they're dashing around the room like a toddler on a ritalin and sugar smoothie? Peanut does this and it's a bit disturbing. He will dash about like he's chasing an invisible speedy gonzales, which results in him using my SO and I as jumping boards or walls to kick off of. Then he's calm again.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My cat Ziggy has done that since he was a kitten (he's 13 now). Up until late January when he started getting sick, he would often take off running through the house. It was pretty funny. I miss seeing him having so much energy. Now he just sleeps and lays around a lot.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes ours do that and it is pretty hilarious to watch! Or when 2 of them get to catching each other. Floyd also likes to play hide and seek with me and that is a hoot!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
This is common for cats to do 2-3 times a day.....to keep their muscles in tone and get some cardio. A cat that didn't do it that was under about 12 yrs. is either obese or not well. Most animals (horses, goats, sheep,etc.) have a similar pattern.....I remember my pet rabbits used to do the same thing, as well as jumping straight up in the air. Wild animals do the run-around too (and so should people!).

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
We call it the zoomies. The boys usually do their zoomies together, and they used to launch themselves off of all sort of things. Including my face, once.

I think it's very cute. I did eventually teach the boys they could only zoomie on the floor, it took a TON of patience and time, but now they only run around like crazy morons on the floor, not on people or furniture.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
We call it the zoomies. The boys usually do their zoomies together, and they used to launch themselves off of all sort of things. Including my face, once.

I think it's very cute. I did eventually teach the boys they could only zoomie on the floor, it took a TON of patience and time, but now they only run around like crazy morons on the floor, not on people or furniture.
I call it crazy kitty mode, all of a sudden they get this crazed look in their eyes then they're off and dashing about the house at full speed.

·
Registered
823 Posts
normal kittyyyyyy......

normal kiiiitttyyyyyyy........

normaallll kiiiiittttttyyyyyyyyyyy.......

8-O SUPER KITTY!! 8-O

·
Registered
40 Posts
Alex used to do that all the time usually right after I went to bed. He is almost 10 and doesn't do it as often now, but once in a while he will just tear up and down the stairs. the kitten Snickers can go from full stop to full speed and back again in an instant.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is there a way to get this to STOP at night? My boyfriend has let it be known that he wants to get rid of the cats because they drive him crazy and wake him up at night.. I'd rather fix it but I don't know how. We've had the main culprit for 7 years now, since he was a kitten, and only recently he (the cat) started being a jerk.

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
We call that being in rocket-butt mode, or chasing the ghost-mouse. I love it when my girls do that. It was especially funny when the most proper Miss Cinderella did it, I even recorded it once.

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
Is there a way to get this to STOP at night? My boyfriend has let it be known that he wants to get rid of the cats because they drive him crazy and wake him up at night.. I'd rather fix it but I don't know how. We've had the main culprit for 7 years now, since he was a kitten, and only recently he (the cat) started being a jerk.
Your cat is being a cat.

Give him a really, really intense playtime right before bed, then feed him a nice big bedtime meal. He'll eat, groom and sleep. For a while anyway.

If it keeps up, get him fixed. Sometimes that makes them calmer and nicer. (talking about the boyfriend now) :grin:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your cat is being a cat.

Give him a really, really intense playtime right before bed, then feed him a nice big bedtime meal. He'll eat, groom and sleep. For a while anyway.

If it keeps up, get him fixed. Sometimes that makes them calmer and nicer. (talking about the boyfriend now) :grin:
A bedtime meal you say? I might need to try that.

And I second the neutering. lol j/k

·
Registered
367 Posts
I love cats who are like this! I can't believe how easy it is for them to go from being a lazy cat to a cat who goes zooming around the house at hyper-speed. I love it when they sound like a huge group of elephants stampeding through the house like crazy!

·
Registered
431 Posts
All of my cats do this, even our oldies, who are pushing 13 years old (though not as much)

My cat Kodak does it less than the others though, maybe only a lap or two at night. He's almost 2 now. But a while ago, when he was diagnosed with crystals in his urine, they also noticed during his exam, a minor heart murmur. I always wonder whether or not he's calmer than the others, because he knows the excitement is hard on his heart? He is one LAID BACK cool cat. We call him the sack of potatoes because we can literally hang him around our neck like a scarf and he will just lay there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts