Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a approx 8 week old kitten yesterday from a shelter and he so has diarrhea. We have put him in the upstairs bathrooms to seperate him from our other cat, yes I have have just crossed into the relm of a multi cat household. When I went to check on him this morning he had, had an accident (thank goodness on the tile) and it basically looked like brown water. He was dewormed at the shelter. How concerned should I be here, can i give it a day or so or do i need to take him to the vet right now?

·
Premium Member
28,614 Posts
I would be guessing. Diarrhea can be caused by stress, change of food, worms, or coccidia, which requires a vet's diagnosis. However, don't allow him to get dehydrated. That's dangerous. I wish the shelters could keep the kittens with their littermates a bit longer.

Perhaps Dr. Jean can give you a better answer. I think it's best to consult the vet, and take a stool sample when you go. I hope all goes well with the new kitten.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
A young kitten can get very dehydrated quickly from diarrhea; do call the vet and have him seen asap. Feline distemper can cause diarrhea as well as a multitude of parasites; it could also be a reaction from the dewormer. The vet is the one to determine the cause and treatment.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts