Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pregnant rescue had her kittens today, five in total and three have twisted hind limbs. I am really upset about it but it will be dealt with at the vet tomorrow. My question for now is: she did not pay much attention at all to her last two kittens. I had to clean them and they were unable to find her nipples. It's been a couple hours and they haven't eaten. Should I begin rearing these ones myself? I'm so new to all of this.. it's terrifying to think if I do something wrong, it will be of great detriment to these little ones. Also, the ones she seems to be ignoring are the smallest of the bunch.

Thanks for any advice you can spare!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Newborns need to eat every 2 hours, and they can fade away very quickly if they're not eating. I would start bottle feeding them right now and search for a nursing cat mom, but I suggest you call your vet and ask him his professional opinion.
They need to stay warm too, is their mom letting them stay with her and the rest of the litter?
Did they manage to eat at least something since they were born? It is very important they take the first milk mom has to give them (they need the colostrum). This happens during the first 12-48 hours after birth...most likely 12-24...the vet should be able to guide you on this.
Sometimes the mother kills sick newborns, sorry about that, but I had to tell you just in case so you'd be ready.
Good luck, and many people can give you lots of advice if you have to hand rear these two ones. Don't worry.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Newborns need to eat every 2 hours, and they can fade away very quickly if they're not eating. I would start bottle feeding them right now and search for a nursing cat mom, but I suggest you call your vet and ask him his professional opinion.
They need to stay warm too, is their mom letting them stay with her and the rest of the litter?
Did they manage to eat at least something since they were born? It is very important they take the first milk mom has to give them (they need the colostrum). This happens during the first 12-48 hours after birth...most likely 12-24...the vet should be able to guide you on this.
Sometimes the mother kills sick newborns, sorry about that, but I had to tell you just in case so you'd be ready.
Good luck, and many people can give you lots of advice if you have to hand rear these two ones. Don't worry.
Yes she is with them and isn't kicking them out, but she isn't paying attention to them either. I keep directing them towards her nipples but they keep searching and crawling all over her; I personally haven't seen them stop long enough to drink from her. One in particular fights for a bit and then just gives up. A call to the vet is on the way and so is milk replacement and bottles!

Thanks to all of you, anyone else with random advice feel free to add! You can never have too much and I'll be back asking more questions I'm sure. :sad

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi Feedmycats
I have never had to bottle feed a kitten that young, the youngest I had to take care of was 4 days old, that said, when you are bottle feeding,and the mother is not cleaning up after the kittens(washing them) you need to also stimulate the bowels (wipe there private parts) with a warm wet cotton ball(paper towel in a pitch) until they "GO" always do this after feeding, they may not go everytime, but you should wipe gently for about 60 sec. Good luck to you and you kittens here is a video to check out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts