Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
613 Posts
Try not to dwell on it, move on. Go out with friends, try new things, take walks, go places you've never been before, try out a new hobby. Basically I would just do anything time consuming.

·
Registered
505 Posts
i write how i feel, in poems (they don't have to rhyme) or just a paragraph or two. and cry a lot. however, i don't think i've ever been *really* truly upset over someone. i just perpetuate the drama. i can change how i feel, normally, in an instant. i'm too rational for my own good sometimes, so i overcompensate by acting emotional sometimes when i don't need to and know it won't help the situation anyway.

sorry for the life story ;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
+1 on staying single, but it's extremely difficult at times. I never find break-ups easy, even when I do the breaking. My last GF was a complete screwball and made my mental health worse than ever, but I still found walking away tough. I spent too much time with her.

Best thing is to go out with friends and find activites to take your mind off of it.

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Go out and keep yourself occupied with friends. You may not want to but it really helps. Don't dwell on it that much, there's plenty of fish in the sea :wink:

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've never had a bad breakup, but I have helped my friends through their share of horrible breakups. I think focusing on your friends an keeping busy are great pieces of advice. Don't be afraid to get your feelings out, but try not to dwell on them.

I think having good friends outside of your boyfriend/girlfriend is really vital. I know a lot of people that once they find a significant other, that person becomes the only thing that matters, and friends because completely unimportant. As a result, the friends will drift away, and if the relationship with the boyfriend/girlfriend doesn't work out, then it's harder to get over because you don't have those great friends to be there for you. So the moral of this story: never undervalue the importance of great friendships. Always make time for your friends :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Find something you didn't have time for while you were in the relationship -- whether it is an activity, a craft, a friend, etc. Keeping busy is a big help, but also look at this as an opportunity to have more time for yourself and what you want to do.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I haven't ever really had a breakup I was upset about....I have always done the breaking up! :twisted: But, I would think it would be like any other difficult situation where loss is involved (death of a pet, a friend moving away, etec) so I would say, try to stay busy and don't spend alot of time alone at home...for me, that always makes it worse...try to stay distracted.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The best part of breaking up is doing things you couldnt do before when you were with the person. Like going out and spending $80 to get your nails done, before you had to consult your bf/fiance/husband before spending that much money, not now! Get another pet if you have been dying to but couldn't because your ex said no. And the number one best thing about breaking up.....finding someone new, someone better than the last guy, feeling the 'falling in love' feeling again.

I started dating Patrick about two weeks after I told my ex husband it was over. Some would call that 'rebounding' But in truth I had known my marriage was over for years and wasn't at all upset about the end of it. Within two days of being with Patrick I knew I loved him. In 6 days Patrick and I will be celebrating our 2 year anniversary and I love him more now than I did in the beginning, and more each day.

Everything happens for a reason, I was in a horrible marriage with a horrible man for a reason. I had a lot of lessons to learn, like it doesn't matter what the person looks like because no matter how good looking they are they can treat you like crap and you will end up hating them. I also learned what I DIDN'T want which was ultimately more important than what I did. I never would have fully appreciated Patrick if he had come into my life before because I had not yet learned those lessons. I would have taken his kindness and respect for me as weakness and walked all over him.

Breakups are great for learning more about yourself and about what you want and don't want. They hurt and they suck but if you learn from them they are well worth it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts