Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I always had outdoor cats without collars. What can I say it worked out. But I am willing to give it a try. I just don't want dangly tags on them. I tried searching on forum but it is hard. Someone mentioned embroidered or some stretchy material that worked for them. The reason I don't want tags is because they jingle and a cat outdoors sometimes needs to be able to be stealth to avoid danger. When I TNR'ed these cats the woman I got the cages from told me when she was new she had collars with bells on them for the kittens and realized the ones with the bells were all disappearing. She figured the coyotes could hear them. She lives in a more remote area than me. Anyway, I will get them microchipped and want to get the collars with maybe a pocket or ? They really have to be breakaway because I would hate to have a hung cat. My cats aren't so friendly so I doubt they would be cuddling up to anyone but who knows!

·
Registered
23 Posts
My kitten has a breakaway collar with a bell, but the bell can easily be removed from it (take some tin snips and ta da, gone!) The collar itself I got at Pet Value for $10 and it doesn't bother her or irritate her!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I just did a quick google search for "embroidered cat collar" and found a few breakaway collars without bells that you can have embroidered with your contact info. I agree that it would be a good idea for your two (especially your boy!) to not have any bells or jingly tags on his collar.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I see. I can't imagine him allowing me to collar him but you know if I thought I was going to ever keep these cats, I never would have let them snip their ears. That really bothers me if he is out there. He got scared seeing a cat in the yard and stayed in more for a few days which I really liked but then his mom never gets to relax much. Sometimes I think they just think this is their house and I just live here. I never had such nervous cats.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Carmel the slide on ones are nice and a super price!
Thanks for posting the link! :)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The slide on ones ARE nice. All my girls wear them now, after an endless revolt of them pulling their collars off via the dangling tag.
The tag also drove me nuts when they ate (I'm sure it didn't thrill them either!) with it tinging against their bowls, it sounded like a cafeteria!

They all have fully elastic collars that have a buckle, and you can place the buckle tongue anywhere since the material is elastic it makes it's own hole and gives a custom fit. The tags are slide on tags. Meal times are nice and quiet, and I'm saving loads on not having to buy collars and tags every week!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Even if you find one with a bell, the bell part usually comes off pretty easily. So if you see one you like with a bell, don't let that deter you.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Cat face, so instead of a cafeteria...
You have a library now!! ;):p

·
Registered
135 Posts
My outdoor cat used to lose his breakaway collars, on bushes or whatever, and even at $10 it became expensive. Sometimes I could go out & find them & sometimes not as he roamed thru a treed area with a lot of brush. I began buying the scrunchies that girls would use in their hair; opening the seam, and adding enough narrow elastic to be comfy. On the collar itself I would print in magic marker our phone number. I'd sit & do several at a time. He had them for all season! July 4th, Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, Easter, whatever. He was the best dressed cat in the neighborhood, and people always knew he belonged to somebody. Every few weeks I would go out & sometimes retrieve some. Sometimes not.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
dont be sorry :) when i brought gizmo in the first time...i had the cutest stretch pink collar with rhinestones....of course! and my vet told me that. i was crushed...its the cutest collar...i can kinda see it happening more so than the break free ones.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
For Blacky I never made her wear a collar until last year. Before that I was more worried about her getting caught somewhere with it or if she'd be in a fight it getting in the way ... breakaway collars don't always break away and other times they breakaway too often. They can be a pain but she needs one now for the magnetically activated cat door since I don't want Jasper outside.

With Jasper I want the bell and the dangling ID tag, he's not indoor/outdoor but if he gets out (which he manages frequently... just yesterday in fact it ran up the huge ceder tree in the front yard), I want to hear him! Plus he's often making a slow move towards the door when its opened so I want to hear him then too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts