Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know the phrase "you can't teach an old dog new tricks?" Well, is this really true or can an adult animal, especially a stubborn cat, be taught that something he does is not allowed?

Herbie jumps on the countertops all the time! I don't believe in "spanking" my cats, so I've tried the squirt bottle and it just got to the point where that didn't even phase him. Then I purchased this stuff called "sticky paws" off the Internet. It's basically thin sheets of clear double-stick tape that you put anywhere you don't want your cat(s) to jump.

I tried it on kitchen counter surfaces and the dressers in the bedroom. It works but the problem is that when Herbie would try jumping somewhere, not realizing the tape was on, his hair would stick to the tape (looks gross!) and so would everyday dust that floats around the house. I only left it on the counters for a few days and peeled it off 'cause I couldn't stand looking at it anymore.

Now I've been doing is just keeping some Clorox wipes handy and making sure to wipe the counters off before meals and such.

Is there ANYTHING someone might know of that could teach my stubborn adult cat to stay off the counters, other than swatting him?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Generally, my cats respond to being sprayed with water, in order to tell them to get off the kitchen counter. There are a couple of them who seem impervious to being sprayed (Max and Otis), both of them are dominant males. However a fine mist to their head usually does the trick. Also, I have one long furred black cat who I rescued from off the streets, (Mopsy) She is one of the most well-behaved cats I have ever seen. She will not jump into my lap, nor jump on my bed as well as not jump upon the kitchen counter unless you first tell her it is OK.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts