Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for posting again so soon, but I just thought of another question I had.

I'm really worried that Milky might have a health problem or maybe it's nothing major but just wanted to see if anyone here maybe knows something about it...

Milky suddenly makes strange noises with his mouth. It sounds like when humans are moving our tongue around and hitting it off the top of your mouth whilst opening and closing your mouth, kind of like you're eating something. The only difference is that when he makes this noise he opens his mouth quite a bit like he's trying to eat and it sounds like he's breathing from his mouth (but I'm not 100% if he is or not) and it sounds quite dry like I can hear the papillae scratching against his throat as if it's dry?? We've only seen him doing it twice so far and both time it's been in the middle of the night and probably lasts for one or two minutes...

I'm wondering if it's too dry in my apt at night time recently because I something wake up with a dry throat...

Any ideas what it might be??? Any help is much appreciated, thanks!!

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I'm afraid I don't really understand your description clearly. All I can say is that if you think he is doing open-mouth breathing, you should definitely take him to your vet ASAP to get checked out (open-mouth breathing may indicate a heart problem, among other things). Even if he's not open-mouth breathing, you should have your vet check him for dental or mouth problems that may be causing the behavior.

Laurie

·
Registered
65 Posts
My cat does that on occasion. There was a time, after I'd had a few people over for Thanksgiving, that she was doing it a fair bit. I was worried, and googled like crazy. This can be a sign of stress, or nausea/acid (and the nausea can itself be a symptom of something else of course).

I had her at the vet shortly after, and he didn't seem too concerned.

She has since stopped. I do hear her doing it on the very odd occasion (like maybe once a month).

I've since attributed it to "she just sometimes gets a little nauseous/upset stomach/acidic, like we humans do from time to time".

I would get her checked over, just in case (as, like I said, if it is nausea, that nausea can be a sign of something).

It could also be stress related..has anything changed at all in her environment/life? Does she get proper food/play/etc etc?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everything at home is the same as always. He gets the same food, play etc as normal. We only have guests over on the rare ocassion, and haven't had any recently, so it shouldn't be that.

If I don't see it happening again, I'll leave it for the next vet visit. He is almost due a yearly vaccination anyway.

Thanks so much for your help. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts