Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I bring Cosette home, I'll be putting her in the Pet Taxi that I bought, so that she doesn't get hurt (plus, I don't want to use some random cardboard box that they will probably supply).

Should I put one of my shirts in there, so that even while she's in there, she can adapt to my smell?

I'm pretty new to traveling with cats, so.. :eek:nekitty can anyone shed a little light on this subject? I'd appreciate it tons!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Sounds like a good idea.
Though I kinda wonder if it would be even better to put something in there of her current environment, as that might calm her more. Being in a strange carrier, with strange smells coming from out outside AND inside might bombard her with too much stress. Something already familiar would probably reduce her anxiety and get her used to the new stuff more smoothly.

If the place you're getting her from will give you any sort of small blanket, or even a toy that she already uses a lot, that would be great.

·
Registered
328 Posts
A lot of her comfort level will depend on her history...our two were from a rescue group, and they were carted off in cat carriers to adoption events at Petco every weekend. We were amazed at how completely calm they were getting into the carrier and on the 30 minute car ride to our apartment. They were super used to the car ride process. But then again, they had each other, so that probably made a difference. And since then, Lily has begun to meow pitifully during car rides. (Then again, she meows pitifully every time she doesn't like something...being picked up, nail trimming...etc) I agree with trying to get a toy or a blanket from her original environment, because that smell would be comforting to her.

When we picked our kittens up, we put a towel in there so it would be more comfortable. I guess it must have had our scents on it, but I honestly didn't even think of that, lol!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'm getting her from the SPCA, but..
She's been with a Foster Parent for a few months.

I could call Beverly (The Head Adoptee, I guess you could say?),
and ask her if the foster parents could supply a toy or blanket, but..
I really doubt she would.. but, I dunno till I ask, I guess!

Gotta remember to call and ask..

Is there anything else I should know? =D

·
Registered
469 Posts
One thing you can do is get a light towel or pillowcase to put over the carrier to create a den like affect. This can help calm the cat and make it feel hidden and safe on the ride home.

Can't predict how she will react though. My mother's tortie is so gentle and quiet, but you get her in a carrier and she cries and wails the whole time. Mirage and Cloud are hardly noticeable when in a carrier, in fact we broke down once on the way to the vet and they were curled up together and slept through the whole thing :roll:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
One thing you can do is get a light towel or pillowcase to put over the carrier to create a den like affect. This can help calm the cat and make it feel hidden and safe on the ride home.
I concur with this! My boys used to cry the whole 2.5 - 3 hour drive to my parents. This last trip, I had so much stuff packed around them in the minivan that I covered them up with a towel so they wouldn't claw anything. After the first 5-10 minutes, they were so quiet that half way through the trip, my sister (who had be staying with me) said in a teasing way that maybe they were being gassed by exhaust. Of course that freaked me out and I had to pull over to check on them. They were fine and only cried a little when I lifted the towel to look in on them.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
When we adopted Murphy I asked the SPCA if they could give us something that smelled familiar for the ride home, and they said no. :-( Sure enough, Murphy cried the whole way there.

I'll have to try the towel-over-the-carrier trick the next time we have to take him to the vet. He's clearly not a fan of the car ride.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I was able to get a blanket with familiar smells to put into Abby's carrier, but she still cried the whole time during the 3 hour drive home. If you can't get anything with her smell on it, just use one of your shirts or a small blanket. Good luck with Cosette!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts