Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I really need some advice about shaving my British short hair girl.

Where I currently live we are having a very very hot summer, sometimes the temperature during the day gets up to 41 degrees Celsius and stays at about 36 degrees throughout the entire day, absolutely unbearable heat.
I want to keep my girl cool and healthy and one of my friends suggested shaving her.
I have no experience whatsoever in shaving cats, never done it before, so I thought about taking her to a groomer.
My question is would shaving her really benefit her in any way or would it just be needless stress that would ultimately be worthless?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
I would never shave a gorgeous British short hair. My girls all have long hair and I've lived in places with no a/c and it got up to 99 in the house. Cats regulate their body temperature to deal with hot and cold weather. Some people do shave their long hair cats, some because of the weather, but mostly because of matting issues.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Most cats tolerate heat fairly well.....they find a stone/marble floor to lie on and somewhere where there's a slight breeze from a window or a fan. BSH have such beautiful plush coats, it would be a shame to shave her, and not convinced it would be helpful.....it would make it easier for insects like mosquitoes, or flies to bite or bother her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts