Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall a thread here a few months ago about most unusual cat toys. Well, I've found a new one, at least for me. I'm one of the minority who actually likes cooked broccoli. I took out some broccoli florets to cook tonight, and a small piece of one, maybe half the size of the fingernail on my pinkie, broke off and fell to the floor.

Little Hersh bounded right over to take a look at it, and, since it is food, I figured he would scarf it right down, as it wasn't even the size of a small pea. But no. To my surprise, after picking it up in his mouth, he carried over to the far part of the kitchen, like a prized catch, and then started batting it about, hiding it under little things and pulling it out again. I thought this little speck would disintegrate, but Little Hersh managed to be gentle enough to keep it intact. On and on he played, a good 15 minutes, pouncing, hiding it, carrying it around--but never swallowing it.

It was adorable to watch. Finally, after 15 minutes, he got bored and moved on. Hersh immediately went over and sniffed it but left it alone. Talk about inexpensive sources of amusement. As I like to say, it takes so little to make them happy.

·
Super Moderator
26,491 Posts
That's exactly how broccoli should be treated.

Your little Hersh is quite the character.

·
Banned
470 Posts
I did that with a piece of baby carrot I dropped.

Problem is, they carry it off, and then it was lost for two days only to be found all nasty nasty by me pushed under the closet door.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I'm going to pick it up now and toss it.

Let's see, we have broccoli, carrot, celery--we've got the makings of a salad going.

I find, whenever I drop something on the floor, I have to be incredibly fast to be able to pick it up ahead of one of them, since one or two of them is always watching my every move, waiting for the slightest slip-up--and of course, sometimes not even waiting, though I've largely got their counter hopping under control while I am making something.

Horror of horrors, one day I dropped a baby aspirin on the kitchen floor, didn't see it right away, but Little Hersh did , went right over to it, and I was able to snatch it up before he used it as a miniature hockey puck. Hershey still goes crazy whenever he sees me take out a hamburger roll, actually tried to climb up my body one day. To him, I'm just a means to an end!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Your cats and their food...or, should I say, your cats and YOUR food! The things I need to be careful with are grapes. Sometimes, one will fall off when I take them out of the fridge, and Abby likes to bat a grape around like a mini soccer ball. She's never tried to eat one, but I still keep an eye out for stray grapes, since they're dangerous.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts