Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My name is Sofia and I am Tummy's mum. Tummy is a 2 years old cat, friendly, playful, and a heart melter. Tummy is an indoor/outdoor cat in a quiet state area and, on Saturday he showed up with his jaw broken. We brought him straight away to the vet and even had a second opinion.

The private vet advised us of the urgency of surgery, as he could stay in pain for life, and as surgeries are expensive if we couldn't afford it to put him down. Tummy was given medication to reduce the swollen and pain and avoid any infection. The surgery couldn't be performed by them so they refer a clinic to do it... Of course, me and my husband burst into tears. We were worried about what would happen if we couldn't find the money quickly enough. However, we refuse to quit.

And so we called our local USPCA, X-ray was exchanged, several phone calls to both vets were made and on Monday morning, Tummy was seen by a USPCA vet.
By Monday the swollen disappeared, Tummy was eating like a Lion, but drinking very little. Because Tummy is doing so well, the USPCA vet advised us to wait 2 weeks to see how he heals, and by then we would know if surgery is the right option. Tummy broke the lower jaw in an awkward place, just a few mm from the right hand side joint with the upper mandible and so, the vet recommended avoiding surgery if possible.

Tummy is behaving as always, playful, energetic, purring, eating like a lion, in fact, he sneaked on me to try to eat his sister's dry food which I have to stop straight away as I fear he would get worse..What I can't understand is that he doesn't seem to be in pain. Cats usually are unable to eat in those circumstances.

So my concerns are....
1) I had 2 completely different vet opinions here. Tummy is doing really well, however, the jaw is a tiny bit twisted and he is slavering a bit. My afraid is that by not performing the surgery quickly he will stay like that and be in pain and so we are making the wrong decision by not going for surgery straight away.

2) Another thing is...he is looking to eat dry food and he is actually able to.... Should I allow him? Would that be good for him, bad? How his even managing!!!

3) He is drinking water however not much, how can I get him to drink more?

Thanks all in advance,
Hopefully, someone here can help

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am so sorry this happened! I know how bad it would feel to me if this were my cat.
He probably doesn't show pain because cats are very stoic. It doesn't mean he is not in pain. I have seen cats with broken pelvis, legs, ribs, that you know for sure are very painful and they don't show it outwardly.

As for the kibble, I don't know if it will hurt him or not to eat it. Ask your vet. In the meantime, soak the kibble in water to make it soft and see if he will eat that. that will also add more water to his intake. I would also get canned cat food, and give him that but mix in more water with that as well.

And, unless you don't trust your vet, I would take his word for it that it is OK to wait for the surgery. If you don't trust them, get another opinion. but doing surgery when there is swelling is not always advisable. sometimes something even has to heal a bit and then get re-broken in order to be put right. sounds terrible, but the surgeons usually know best.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much Mosi. Yes I do trust the vet, it's just the disparity of opinions that is worrying me. Well in that case It's a question of waiting. At least if he needs surgery we now have the time to get the money for surgery and hopefully he will be ok. Thanks for the advice, soaking dry food in water is a really good idea to increase water input.

·
Super Moderator
26,726 Posts
Adding water to dry food is okay, but it shouldn't be left out too long because it forms bacteria pretty quickly.

Good luck with whatever choice you make for Tummy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Off topic, but you are so right... cats are very stoic. Our Toby was euthanized at 6 years old (just a month ago) due to severe asthma and until the last couple of days he was a trooper. Even though we could see he was breathing hard/fast he would still jump onto our laps as always. It was only until the last couple of days that he was no longer moving or eating. Cats are so good at hiding discomfort. I sometimes think that they don't want to disappoint us as their loved one and are not willing to "give up" until they have our blessings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts