Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took 5 of our feral cats to be spayed and neutered today. Luckily we caught Grayson along with the others. He broke his tail more than half a year ago. We saw him losing it bit by bit. At some points it was getting better and then if he got into fights - started bleeding again.
The volunteers didn't only neuter him but also took off the extra growth of dried flesh; when we went to pick him up this morning was looking pretty good (better than before).
Having tried to escape the cage (the males are supposed to stay in at least 24 hours and the females 36) it started bleeding again - having got caught in the holes of the cage. It is not excessive bleeding but I would like to make it stop while he is under our supervision. He is tamer than most of the cats but too scared to let us pet him.
Is it *normal* for it to still bleed for a while under the circomstances?
They have given me directions on how to care for them and to keep an eye on the females especially but nothing about Grayson
I will also call the toll free emergency number - I would like to hear more opinions if possible
Hopefully Dr. Jean who has the experience can throw more light in here for me
Thank you,
Ioana

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If you can't really handle him, this gets a little trickier! Did they suture up the tail after cleaning it up? If so, it should be fine on its own.

If not, if you can get the homeopathic remedy Ferrum Phosphoricum, or even Phosphorus, and give him a dose (crushed or dissolved in canned food, baby food, etc.) that will help stop the bleeding.

If you can keep him in a carrier or somewhere confined where he can just be quiet for a few hours, that might do it.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much, Dr Jean - I will do so tomorrow since I cannot feed them today. I will keep them in the cages under the cooling effect of the fans (when necessary) until tomorrow evening.
There is no sign of suture. I am really glad he got some medical attention at all besides being neutered. The goal of the organization is to alter the cats and give them basic shots (including rabies) - they rely completely on our (=caretakers) donations to so. It was nice of them to have taken care of his tail as well. Having in consideration they try to alter 100 cats per session - it is understandable it becomes difficult to find more time and finances to invest into other injuries that the kitties may have. When I have signed for the Operation I was warned that if they see that an animal is in danger of slow death it might be put to sleep. It sounds humane but it would still be saddening for me. I am fond of all of them - even though most of them don't know it . I am probably the giant that drops goodies in the woods - in their eyes. It is funny to see them looking at my feet moving while walking - they are so cute.
I was afraid for Grayson ...but it all turned out well ..except for this bleeding.
Sorry about the rant ...I am really tired and can't sleep - I will be like this untill I will see them return safely back in the area..and coming back to eat from me. I will have more experience for the August session that is certain -

Once again - I appreciate your promt and helpful reply, Dr. Jean - I was hoping you were around :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts