Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think that it's necessary to brush a cats teeth? Or can they live their whole life with the teeth intact.

·
Registered
220 Posts
As I understand it, the only time it may be necessary to brush a cat's teeth is for bad breath, or if they do not eat dry cat food. The dry cat food causes them to crunch and chew tartar away from their teeth.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do feed my cat dry food. That makes sense cause the food is cleaning while they eat. I've also seen tartar control cat treats so I could use that too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
697 Posts
I find my kiten likes his teeth cleaned :D Every morning as I clean my teeth, he gets his baby toothbrush and chews away as I brush. I don't use any special toothpaste as he seems happy just chewing on a plain, wet toothbrush! Evry morning he sits waiting for his brush :D

·
Registered
697 Posts
I find my kiten likes his teeth cleaned :D Every morning as I clean my teeth, he gets his baby toothbrush and chews away as I brush. I don't use any special toothpaste as he seems happy just chewing on a plain, wet toothbrush! Evry morning he sits waiting for his brush :D

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I have a very different opinion. Brushing your cat's teeth is a daily necessity! Just like humans, the tartar can build up very quickly. Imagine what your teeth would look like if you didn't brush them even once in 15 years :wink: .
If you don't brush, this greatly increases the chances of cavities which are very painful for the cat. Before I started brushing my cats' teeth, Levi, my 6 year-old had 3 teeth removed and Cleo, who was 2, had a single tooth removed. The surgery for both my kitties cost about $1000. IF you brush the cat's teeth, you are less likely to have to put them through the expensive surgery or atleast you will need a dental cleaning less often. Sometimes, despite brushing the teeth, your cat will still require surgery, because it is impossible to remove all the tartar with just a brush. It also really depends on the cat and it's genes. Levi, despite brushing, has a cavity starting just a year after I got his teeth cleaned!
Contrary to popular opinion, dry food does not clean the teeth. Studies have shown that the amount of tartar build up is almost equal if your cat eats either wet or dry food. DrJean, a forum member here who is a vet, likens this to flossing with Triscuits (sp?). So eating dry food does not mean you don't have to brush. It is still of the utmost importance.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have never brushed my cats teeth before. Her breath is very bad, so we are gonna buy some toothbrush and toothpaste and start brushing them. I used to think that you didnt need to brush them. :(

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Most cats in the US eat only dry food, yet dental disease is *the* most common problem seen by veterinarians; present in 80% of the animals they see. I have seen thousands of cats who ate only dry food, yet had plenty of tartar, cavities, and periodontal disease. I have pulled tens of thousands of rotten, painful, abscessed teeth from these cats.

Dry food does not clean the teeth. That is a total myth that lives on through the claims of the dry food makers and ignorant veterinarians. I recently posted some of the research on this, which says that at best, dry food tends to produce slightly less tartar than wet food. Actually, cats can create tartar without eating any food at all! Tartar control treats also do not clean the teeth, even the FDA says so (with a few exceptions, but you won't find them at Safeway or Petsmart).

Only BRUSHING cleans the teeth! The veterinary dental association recommends daily brushing. Problem: most people won't do it.

If your cat's breath is bad and there is already dental disease present, brushing now won't do anything except polish the tartar. Have the cat's teetch professionally cleaned by your vet, then get started with the brush.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I brush their teeth at least every second day. I'm not sure how good I do it though. Sometimes they try to escape and it's difficult to brush their teeth. I use the brush you put on your finger. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
drjean said:
If your cat's breath is bad and there is already dental disease present, brushing now won't do anything except polish the tartar. Have the cat's teetch professionally cleaned by your vet, then get started with the brush.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
Ok, and will she be awake or asleep for them to do that?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll make an appointment to get my cat's teeth cleaned. :D I'll try to find my finger brush and start doing this. I'm really glad I asked this question. It's not something some people really think about. I've had my cat since she was a kitten and I want the best for her.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Tigurius said:
hehe thank you, he is a siamese-ragdoll-bluepoint cross (from what iam told) what do you think he is?
I was also going to guess ragdoll. Were you just *told* that he was a siamese-ragdoll? Bluepoint is a color, not a breed. And yes -- I think that is bluepoint.

Back to the subject -- If I brush my cats teeth every other day, how often do they need a professional cleaning?

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
It will really depend on your cat. Some cats are more prone to tooth decay than others. From what I have seen, cats that don't get their teeth brushed can need a dental every 2-3 years if their owner is willing to pay for it. I don't know how many years is the average for a cat whose teeth are getting brushed. Regardless, with brushing, your cat is less likely to get cavities and need extractions in addition to the dental cleaning. Extractions increase the price and cause the cat considerable pain.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts