Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of brushes would you guys recommend for a semi longhaired kitty. My Bella is a Siamese x Persian with mostly Persian traits and a Siamese's colouring. I sometimes use a normal human hair brush, it helps to get rid of all those loose hairs, but it seems to have a limited effect. Sometimes I use the dogs' undercoat rake, it works, but she hates it. What else is there? I have cat hair on everything this little furball of mine touches.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
I would get two - a comb and a brush. I like dog brushes for my long haired cats and a comb to get down to the skin and smooth it all out.

cat comb.jpg

dog brush.jpg

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
For many years I raised longhair Manx which have a semi longhair double coat (not as long as a Persian). I used a 7-1/2 inch polished steel rounded tips "Greyhound" comb with finer tines on one side than the other. It slides through the hair easily, and the rounded tips don't scratch the skin. My cats loved it. I never used brushes, nor did I ever see any Persians being brushed at cat shows---just combs used. If you comb your cats once a day, you won't have a lot of hair everywhere.

Amazon.com: greyhound comb: Pet Supplies

·
Registered
413 Posts
@catloverami, ok never realised. Just googled Persian cat grooming and I see they all also recommend combing, not brushing. Would the comb on this website be suitable. I'm in South Africa, while Amazon does deliver it is expensive. Oster is a SA company who makws very good grooming tools.
Oster 7inch Medium/Coarse Grooming Comb (078928-130-000) | Buy Online |
I have a himalayan (which is a persian with siamese coloration). I use a similar brush and it works great :thumb

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
This looks similar to the "Greyhound" type and I think the Oster comb would be comparable.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3gatos, none of my cats like a slicker brush. The two Siamese love the Zoom groom, Lucky just hates being brushes period. Thankfully he's just a little shorthaired moggy so I don't worry too much.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
I'm with 2Siamese on the slicker brush. We have them at the shelter by the dozen and only rarely does a cat like those sharp little tines on their bodies. Cats often will turn their facea to sniff and cheek mark the brush and a face full of sharp needles is not enjoyable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts