Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to try to brush Kitty's teeth, especially after she had to have a dental. But she was not interested! She doesn't like to be held at all. Does anyone know of any special tricks?

Also, Do you think it helps any if the cat chews on the toothbrush? She likes the cat toothpaste okay and if I hold the brush out, she'll chew on it, but if I try to brush back and forth she pulls her head away and won't let me do it again.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
This is the way that I brush my kitties teeth. I kind of squat over top of the cat. I kneel on the floor and the cat is between my legs. You can give slight pressure with the knees so that they can't run off. In this position it is quite easy to look in their mouths and brush their teeth. This has worked very well for me.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
OK, being someone that's only have had cats in my earlier age, I never knew you had to brush your cats teeth. :oops: So please let me in on the secret, with what do you brush the teeth with? Special kitty tooth brushes and special kitty tooth paste? Wouldn't some dry food (extra crunchy) help with the cleaning?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
CyberPet said:
So please let me in on the secret, with what do you brush the teeth with? Special kitty tooth brushes and special kitty tooth paste?
Yep, they make special tooth brushes and toothpaste for kitty cats. His toothpaste is malt flavored. And while he's not thrilled with me sticking my fingers in his mouth, he likes the flavor of the toothpaste.

Wouldn't some dry food (extra crunchy) help with the cleaning?
Not really. If your cat actually chews the food (and a lot don't), the kibble shatters upon being touched with the tip of the tooth and doesn't clean near the gumline at all.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My catooth brush is something I put on my finger... But we still have fights about brushing :roll: the knee lock sounds good though :lol:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anytime I try to hold Kitty down or contain her, she freaks out. She doesn't like to be held or carried and only occasionally will sit on my lap. I'd pin her down as suggested, but I already know that doesn't work (we've tried it while applying eye medication).

Do you think chewing the toothbrush, with toothpaste, helps?

·
Registered
135 Posts
How are you supposed to get the cat in this Burrito? Anyway - till now I have been able to do everything without socks being "wrapped up" :p

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I think chewing on the toothbrush would help a bit, but is certainly the best. Have you tried slowly getting her used to your touching her teeth? Start off by touching her closed mouth until she is used to it, then lifting up her lips, then touching her gums etc. That's all the ideas I have for you. I'm so glad that my kitties put up with the whole procedure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts