Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's just a regular mackerel DSH, but when I start brushing her, it never ends! Theres so much loose hair, I fill bags with it each time. I hust gave her a half hour of purring grooming and she's looking great, but I know I could carry on all day and still be removing hair. I do it now about 3-4 times a week- if I leave it for weeks as Ive done occasionally, she gets a little dandruffy which clears up when she's getting brushed regularly. Her fur does look nice for the work, but does everyone who has a cat that sheds see this much loose fur? I brushed my moms russian blue the other day and it was just ridiculous, even worse! I pretty much threw away a whole cat. Is this normal?

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have two Ragdoll's, since I've changed their diets they hardly need brushing at all. Evie came to us COVERED in matts, it was awful. We kept brushing and chopping clumps off, then we changed her to high quality canned food- and now she doesn't matt at all.

Anyway, I brush them about twice a week- more during shedding season.

So long as you're not brushing your cat bald (I know furminator brushes can do this), then I wouldn't worry!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a constant guilty conscience about her diet, which I guess is why Im asking...She started off as a kitty getting raw food and high quality food, but she never ate the organs, which forced me to introduce dried food for the taurine levels, since she wasnt interested in cans. Slowly, she gravitated towards dried and now she pretty much refuses to eat anything else. I give a half-hearted attempt at trying to wean her of it now and again, but being a cat, she always gets what she wants in the end...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I have a constant guilty conscience about her diet, which I guess is why Im asking...She started off as a kitty getting raw food and high quality food, but she never ate the organs, which forced me to introduce dried food for the taurine levels, since she wasnt interested in cans. Slowly, she gravitated towards dried and now she pretty much refuses to eat anything else. I give a half-hearted attempt at trying to wean her of it now and again, but being a cat, she always gets what she wants in the end...
I bought some loose (not capsulated) taurine in a health food store, but if you read the article I posted a link to:

http://www.catforum.com/forum/36-cat-chat/145282-scientific-experiment-cat-article.html

You'll see that according to this study, dry food is not necessarily unhealthy.

As to the brushing, I do give Missy a quick brush several times a day. I do this because I like peace for at least a few minutes each day. For some reason that I can't fully fathom, I'm keping the hair.

I feed Missy Friskies wet, Friskies dry, and now Evo dry.

She eats either F dry or E dry whichever takes her fancy as there is some of each out at all times. She also gets one chopped sardine in tomato sauce mixed with a little wet pre-mixed Metamucil, quarter teaspoon, (quarter teaspoon of powder to two onces water) per day.

It was funny when I introduced the Evo. She had three plates down and the poor girl just couldn't make up her mind which she wanted. She kept looking from one to the other. The Evo won that day as it was somehting new and different. I know the article says regular feeding times, but Missy seems to like the way it is now. Keeping my fingers crossed, I haven't had a furball in several months.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Shedding season. I asked a similar question a few days ago. I commented that he seems to grow more undercoat overnight to shed out the next day.

Right now I'm grooming him daily, once his shedding slows down I'll lessen it. In the winter I brush him about once sometimes twice a week.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I Evie came to us COVERED in matts, it was awful. We kept brushing and chopping clumps off,
I'm glad someone else is chopping and brushing. I was going to get someone in to do Missy, but she's so skittish and afraid of strangers that I continued with chopping and brushing. I cut across at right angles to the clump and bought a wire brush. She only tolerates a little at a time, but most of it is gone now, and she seems quite grateful. I think it may have been itchy. There's a lot of dead hair down below the clumps that the wire brush gets.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I see, not uncommon then. still shedding? Maybe. Yeah, she quite happily eats mackerel in tomato sauce, (or anything in tomato sauce), which is good protein, but no taurine. She was quite happily eating cooked pork which is high in taurine, for a while, then she just refused it...bleeding princess. She wouldnt last a day in the wild. She'd probably catch things, then she'd sit there waiting for someone to cook it for her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts