Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! Buddy has been in the house with us for a little over 2 months now. Approximately a month ago he got bitten by Herbie and the bite mark turned into a bump that needed to be lanced. When he got it lanced, the vet put him on 2 weeks' worth of amoxicillin to ward off infection.

Ever since being on the amoxicillin for about 1 week (approx 3 weeks ago) he's had stinky poops and they're mustard yellow in color and soft. Not diarrhea, but just soft.

Anyway, I called his vet who told me to try him on some boiled chicken and rice for a while and hopefully that clears his system up to where his system will straighten out. After I got off the phone with him I started thinking...since Buddy was a stray cat, and for who knows how long, he was only used to eating meat. Now that he's in a house and is getting cat food, could this just be a situation where his digestive system is missing the protein he was once getting from the meat and the amoxicillin perpetuated something to where he just can't kick it?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Amoxicillin commonly causes diarrhea itself. Usually a couple of weeks of acidophilus/probiotics (get at the health food store) mixed with the canned food (which should be fed twice a day) will help the system balance itself out again.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speaking of amoxicillin, do you ever wonder why the amoxicillin prescribed through a vet clinic is bubble gum flavored like we used to get as kids? I've always said, if they can make bubble gum-flavored meds, why not make meat-flavored meds for the animals. Makes more sense to me. Then we wouldn't have to fight so hard sometimes to get them to take it, although Buddy took it pretty well when mixed with tuna or salmon.

Dr. Jean, maybe this is something that should be brought up to the pharmaceutical companies for pet meds. :wink:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
There are many compounding pharmacies that will put icky-tasting medicine in a tuna-flavored syrup (or whatever flavor you want, really). It's a real life-saver for some of those uncooperative kitties! However, the market for it is too small for the big pharm companies to mess with it. They make way more $$$ with the human versions!!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so I guess I'm not the only person to ever have thought of this idea! Dang, I thought I was being an innovator there for a second!! :lol: At least I know the reason why now.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
drjean said:
Usually a couple of weeks of acidophilus/probiotics (get at the health food store) mixed with the canned food (which should be fed twice a day) will help the system balance itself out again.
Do you know how much you would give a 9-1/2 pound cat and how many times a day? I asked my cats' vet about it and he said he did not know. Another thing he told me MAY work is adding some plain yogurt to his food twice a day. He did say, though, that the lactose in the yogurt may potentiate the diarrhea/loose stools.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Yogurt has very little lactose, actually. It's the only milk product I can eat without having severe gastrointestinal troubles (gas, bloating, diarrhea). You would need to give yogurt that contains a 'live' culture, however. I'm not sure about the acidophilus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts