Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Andy and Bugsy, best buds!
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we adopted our Bombay/Manx mix, Bugsy, less than a month ago. We can't believe we got such a rare cat from a shelter but we feel very lucky. True to the Bombay heritage he is very loving and active. Also true to the Bombay breed he is very intelligent and curious. The foster told us we may need to baby-proof our cabinets because he knows how to open them. Fortunately he hasn't done that yet, although he has gotten into the garbage bag when we left it out.

During his first few days with us he stayed in my office. I put a baggie of food in my desk drawer for safekeeping. He opened the drawer and scattered the food all over the office. Most recently I left a bag of cat food on the kitchen counter and left the house. When I returned he had opened both sides of the bag with his teeth and the food was all over the floor.

This is not a behavior problem so not looking for advice. This is simply to share how amazed we are at the capabilities of this cat. We just have to be careful to keep everything out of his reach.

Attachments

Registered
In a way, this is like the food puzzles! They see opening the food bag or the drawer that contains food as a food puzzle.
I once made a food puzzle out of a toilet paper roll and some paper. It was too easy for Loreta. She was a street cat after all, she had to solve harder "puzzles" to get food.
She opens the kitchen's sliding door and the lid of the garbage can to pick stuff from there, if we don't empty it at night or leave a weight on top of it.
They are intelligent and I've read it is good for them to have these puzzles. Either the ones made for them or the real-life ones like in our stories 馃樄 馃樆

Registered
Phoenix, Tiger & Crackhead!!!
Haha, my cat Crackhead does the same thing, he opens drawers & cabinet doors, and I'm pretty sure he steals beer out of my fridge when I'm not looking. He's actually quite clever when it comes to opening things, dunno WHY he likes to do this, but I'm okay with it as long as there are no chemicals he can reach (under the sinks, for instance). Sometimes the knucklehaid will just sit in the dark inside a cabinet, and when I go looking for him, he'll just wait there until I find him, like hide & seek, lol. He's a goofy cat, but this behavior is acceptable in my home. I actually have several 'cat caves' set up for permanent access, and he does use those (along with the other cats), but he also likes opening drawers & doors, while the other cats don't seem as interested in doing this. Why? Meh, who knows what goes on in those walnut-sized brains? Lol... ;)

Registered
Andy and Bugsy, best buds!
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love these stories about Loreta and Crackhead (and love the name Crackhead)! We know how Bugsy is so yesterday my partner put a bag of chips on the very top shelf of a shelving unit thinking Bugsy would never be able to get to it. Wrong. Bugsy not only reached it but opened both sides of the bag, just like he did with the cat food, and there were chips all over the floor. I don't even think he eats them. He just considers it a challenge. 馃槀

1 - 4 of 4 Posts