Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dh was out cutting the grass tonight since we purchased one of those inflate and fill pools for our kids and wanted to set it up. He was cutting around the tree and ran over a pile of grass. After he went over it he stopped and looked at the pile. My heart sank....I was afraid of what he was going to tell me.

Sure enough he ran over a bunny nest but the little buggers were well hidden in a deep nest so there were no casualties. I checked them all over just to make sure no one was hurt. They were all fine and their momma must have just been there to feed them cause they all had nice round full tummies. I did gather them all out of the nest so my DH could finish cutting the grass without hurting anyone. I carefully put them all back in the nest, covered them with moms fur and the dried grass she mounded and laid a few logs around the nest so no one accidentally steps on them. I dropped a carrot near the nest for her as well. They looked to be only about a week old. They were fully furred but their eyes were still closed. There are 5 of them. I will try to get a pic tomorrow when I check to make sure mom has returned.

The little darlings are so cute. Too bad they grow up and eat all of my shrubs to the ground every winter :? Thinking back I believe I saw mom on my deck last week. I wonder if she was the one who built a nest last year less than 2 yard away from where this nest is.

I am just hoping that the local roving cat doesn't find her nest. 8O There is one that hangs out around the area that has been sighted using the neighbors bird feeders as a snack dispenser.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I hope the cat doesn't find them!!! I bet they're so CUTE!!! Its amazing that they weren't hurt. That was probably stressful for your husband!!

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
I have the exact same situation. Almost every morning I see little brown bunnies hopping around next to our house, and I live in fear that I'll see one of them dead because of the outdoor cat across the street. They are so adorable.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Baby rabbits are sooo cute. Cute bunny story:

A couple years ago I was fostering a momma cat and kittens. My friend called and said that his dog had killed a momma and a nest of babies, but one baby was unharmed. Well our wildlife rescue doesn't take baby rabbits, so I told him to bring it over. Next morning I called the vet, he gave me some advice, and told me to try to put the baby with the kittens. And sure enough, Sidney(momma cat) accepted the little bunny as her own. She raised Egg Roll as well as her own kittens. It was sooooo cute. Egg Roll would wrestle with the kittens, and would bond with us, run over to us and sit on our legs.

We started weaning him, which is very difficult in wild bunnies, but we got through it
And then one day the "fear period" began and it was time for Egg Roll to go back outside where he belonged.
We had a little release party for him.
He's still around too, I see him lurking around the house every now and then, all big and fat.

I gotta go find pics of him and Sidney and his kitty "siblings"

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well here are a few pictures of the brood. I was lucky enough to get a picture of mom too. She was hanging out by our fence keeping an eye on her babies from a distance. What a good momma.

Mom-looking very relaxed

[/img]

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
I'm at Lorna's house stealing her cats because she's passed out! :D

·
Registered
515 Posts
marie73 said:
I'm at Lorna's house stealing her cats because she's passed out! :D
Darn it Marie, you beat me to it. :evil:

I'll have to hurry to get over to Lee Ann's place to get her kitties since she is on the floor beside Lorna. :lol:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well they are still doing well today. I checked them this morning and I was a bit concerned because one seemed a little dehydrated. They all have fleas but I am guessing that is pretty common. I will have to treat the area after they move out so they don't find their way in the house. I am tempted to look for a rabbit safe treatment and take care of them but I don't want to interfere too much. I pretty much just take a peak once a day to make sure they are ok.

Their eyes are starting to open and they are even more adorable. We were outside almost all day since the weather was gorgeous and we grilled and ate dinner on the deck. Halfway through dinner my DH tells me to turn around. There was Momma! She was slowly creaping back to her babies. I had the honor of watching her care for her little ones. She nursed them, checked them over then covered them all back up and hopped away. She looks preggers again too :roll: . I guess what they say about breeding like rabbits is true. :lol:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Wow those pictures are just great, they are so small and cute!!
How does the mom get in the yard if its fenced? what she inside or outside?
I have a video of a mommy bunny giving birth to her babies, it is not very clear since it was thru the window and the screen (didn't want to disturb them), I will never forget, it was amazing to witness!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I've heard that if a baby animal is handled by a human its mother may reject it because of the scent. Is this not true?

A few weeks ago my GF and I saved a baby bunny. It crossed a street right in front of my car and ran around frantically but wouldn't leave the road. We got out of the car and tried to catch it but it kept running away. There was an adult rabbit sitting in a yard nearby and it was too small to jump the curb and get back to safety so we threw a sweatshirt over it and grabbed it and carried it to the yard where the adult rabbit was. About a half hour later we rode by and saw that adult rabbit sitting in the same spot that we placed the baby. It was dark so it was hard to see very well but we're hoping that it was the mother protecting her baby.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh, those are darling! ^__^ Good thing my Roo wasn't around, though...we've had a lot of unpleasantness with him and baby bunnies. D: One time we were able to save one, though, if only because he chased it into the house and it hopped right into the living room. ^^; Guess it was a blessing we left the door open?

Ah, spring...both a blessing and a curse...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts