Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...food after eating.

I noticed about a week ago MowMow burped up a small quantity of his food onto the carpet shortly after he ate. I just figured he was a piggy and ate too fast.

Then it happened again twice THIS week. He's not vomiting. There's no heaving or gagging..just a silent burp and a mouthful of food that he either swallows back down immediately or it lands on the carpet (then we fight to see if he can eat it before I clean it up). It's always within 5-10 minutes of him eating and always looks the same coming up as it did going in.

I wasn't overly worried until I started doing some research and found that there could be causes like proximal esophageal lesions or esophageal obstructions....... now I'm a bit worried.

Am I being a paranoid meowmy again do you think or should we headed for the vet?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I've never heard of either of those things but I'm like you- anything little thing out of the ordinary and I'm worrying about everything that could be wrong. Does he seem sick in any other way? Maybe you could call the vet just to see what they say?

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Gracie burps occasionally, and I wonder if swallowed air is the issue with her - maybe MowMow too?

I remember a recent thread on the topic of overly-fast eating, and the recommendation of raising the food dish off the floor. We haven't really tried it yet. Gracie scarfs her food so fast sometimes, I wonder that she doesn't totally choke...

Fran

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the more I researched the more I found that suggestion. I haven't fed him breakfast yet (late night) so when I do I'll give it a shot and see if it helps.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
when our jolene cat was young she inhaled her food, with some of the same results, resorted to giving her the same amount divided among three dishes spaced about a yard apart, with the jumping between bowls because one of the others always had more food (LOL) we were able to slow the food intake down a bit.. less food came back up..(she still will finish her bowl faster than the other cats)

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WEll, I raised his bowl and it seemed to work. I'll give it a few more days to be sure but I feel much better. I should know better than to surf the internet for cat diseases...it just freaks me out and makes me want to stick him in a bubble.

He did his normal belching (as always right in my face) but nothing came up and he seems to feel ok.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts