Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I thought I heard about this behavior mentioned in some thread a while ago. I'd never experienced it first hand, however, until I got Chica.

If I give her a food she doesn't like, or whenever she finishes eating, she swipes her paw along the floor as if she is burying the food. It resembles the motion they do in the litter box, when they dig holes. I wonder what she is thinking when she does it, and why she feels the need to "bury" her food when there is no sand or dirt around to bury it with.

Anyone else have a kitty who does this?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hah! Isn't is strange? I'm just glad that there ISN'T sand around, otherwise I'd have to deal with sand in the crunchy food that Chica doesn't like.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
It's instinct, Rach. :) In the wild they would cover it to hide it from other animals and predators.

Just a suggestion: Canned food is better for cats than dry. Dr. Jean said the worst canned food is better than the best dry. Maybe Chica is trying to tell you something! :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Nefertiti, Boom, and my first foster, Lily, did not try to bury food. My current foster Madeline is the only one that I've ever seen do that. Her food bowl is in my dining room right next to the curtains, and she claws at the curtains trying to pull them over the bowl :roll: . Needless to say, I had to move the bowl.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh don't worry Jeanie! I keep a small amount of good quality kibble in the bowl because Nito likes to graze. They both get canned meals every day! Maybe she's just checking the food bowl to see if the delicious yummy canned stuff is there, and when she finds the crunchy stuff she's disappointed!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
:lol: :lol: I used to teach music at a day camp in the summer, and they had great lunches. At the end of the day, I saw that the lunch girls were going to throw away all of the brand name fish filets! So I asked for a couple as a treat for the cats.

You guessed it; they tried to bury it! And we think they're delicious!! Smart kitties. It's not really good for them anyway. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
My little Mia does that...I thought she urinated near the bowl and she was trying to bury it. I moved it all and cleaned the area with Lysol cleaner and put their dishes in the dishwasher...LOL!! :lol:

Good info!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My cat does it too! As other posts have said it is almost surely an instinctive trait.

I might question the view that wet food is always better than even the worst dry food. I work as a veterinary nurse and we offer many dry complete diets on a prescription diet or formulation diet and provided adequate water is freely available, are good diets. There are some awful canned or pouched diets on the market which are crammed with irrelevant bulk , too much salt and meaty flavouring to make it palatable.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
gemmap, I'm sure your vet is quite good. I hope you will visit Dr. Jean Holve's site, however. She specialized in feline care for over 10 years, and is quite well known and respected. Here's an article on feeding:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... cannedfood

I wish Dr. Jean still had time to visit. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
My cats never have done that, but whenever my cat Chip pukes up a hairball he tries to use the invisible litter to cover it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts