Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned in another thread how hot it was in Victoria (Australia) yesterday... oh my gosh, it has been a crazy weekend. There are bush fires all over the state, and a lot of people have died... at least one town was almost completely wiped out.

I was supposed to go up to Alexandra today, but because of the fires I think it's safe to say I won't be going. Part of the major highway going up there is closed, and anyway I don't want to get in the way of people fighting the fires. Apparently there are tourists in other parts of the state cloggin up roads because they're driving TO fires to take photos! I can't believe it!!

If anyone's interested, it's all over the news here, as you might expect: http://www.abc.net.au/news/

·
Super Moderator
26,496 Posts
Oh, please do stay home. Fires can change direction and speed in a heartbeat. Plus it sounds like an unusual amount of idiots out there. We had the "picture takers" during our fires here, too. Some of which had to be rescued. :?

Stay safe! :patback

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Those news reports are amazing. Everyone seems to be repeating the same thing - how fast it all happens. So horrible for everyone affected, my heart goes out to them. It is hard to believe some people would actually go and take pictures.
How far away are you from all that is happening?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm right in the city, so I should be pretty safe. The closest fires were north of Melbourne (where I go horse riding)!! My friend has a property in Kilmore where the fires started, and another friend has a property in East Warburton, which is vaguely in the direction the fires are going! If they can be kept north they might miss it though. And I have friends in Churchill and Traralgon. Luckily for them the wind is on their side! I can't imagine what it must be like for people affected!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The death toll has gone up to 108. :(

I feel so terrible about what people have had to go through, because of the 100km winds apparently people couldnt even drive away fast enough and got incinerated in their cars. Just terrible.

·
Registered
241 Posts
This is worrying for us - not just because we are moving to Melbourne in August, but because Justine's brother is a volunteer firefighter near Adelaide. Fortunately he's just phoned to say he hasn't been called up yet, but he's annoyed he hasn't been.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
I've seen this on the news ... just terrible. I hope that they can get the fires under control soon.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
akiralx said:
This is worrying for us - not just because we are moving to Melbourne in August, but because Justine's brother is a volunteer firefighter near Adelaide. Fortunately he's just phoned to say he hasn't been called up yet, but he's annoyed he hasn't been.
My boyfriend's dad is in Kilmore fighting fires and his mum is travelling to Benalla everyday for fire recovery. They may not call on the volunteer firefighters from interstate (though they've already called on professional firefighters from interstate, I think).

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
This news is just horrible! I can't believe how fast the devastation is growing, the news gets worse by the hour!!!

Prayers to all who are there...!

Fran

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
The news reports we're getting here are just awful. :( I pray it gets under control soon. As I was getting in the car yesterday, I could have sworn that I heard on the radio that arson is suspected in at least a portion of the fire. Is that true? If so, I hope those people are caught and justice is served.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
2kids3cats4me said:
The news reports we're getting here are just awful. :( I pray it gets under control soon. As I was getting in the car yesterday, I could have sworn that I heard on the radio that arson is suspected in at least a portion of the fire. Is that true? If so, I hope those people are caught and justice is served.
Yep, they're planning to charge who ever it is with murder. :evil:

While there's fires burning in Victoria there's been extreme flooding in northern Queensland due to a cyclone. Talk about one extreme to another!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/photos/2009/02/04/2482299.htm

HELPING hand ... a koala receives assistance from a Country Fire Authority officer. Pic: Russell Vickery/CFA

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes - Adelaide is the capital of the South Australia (one of the Australian states). The bush fires are mainly located in Victoria (which is a neighbouring state of SA). From what I can see Adelaide is largely unaffected - hopefully the fires won't spread any further.

Australia has been on the top headlines of our papers for the last few days now - the thoughts of the world are definitely with them. The firefighters seem to be doing a fantastic job but it must so hard trying to keep such a force under control.

Thoughts are with those who are affected and whose families have been affected x

1 - 20 of 23 Posts