Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is "By Nature" an ok brand of cat food? Wet and dry?
I was looking at the canned food and it seemed like a good product but then I looked at the dry food and while the dry food was grain-free, the first ingredient was "chicken meal." I thought that chicken meal was bad? or is it really not in the scheme of things?
I got a can of the wet food (6oz for $1.34! I was excited, Wellness is 5oz for $1.59) and am going to see how Booth likes it.
The dry food was a really good price too, if it's a good food, so it would be great if it actually is...

And then, along the lines of feeding, Booth is going to be 6 months old next week (he's grown up SO fast!) and I was wondering when I should start transitioning him to twice daily wet/dry feedings instead of twice daily wet food feedings and free feeding dry food...

Also, how would I go about making that transition as stress-free as possible? He's one of those cats that literally freaks out when he doesn't have food in front of him. He starts running around yowling like he's dying and trying to climb up your pant legs if he's hungry... o_O I think it stems from him almost being starved to death as a baby, but he's a big boy now and he's not starving at all. He's 8 pounds! Haha

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
By Nature is a good food. Chicken meal is not problematic...what you want to avoid are foods that contain only chicken "by-products". If Booth likes the wet food, then you can keep feeding him that. I would buy just a small bag of the dry at first, to make sure he likes that too.

I'm not sure what you mean by twice-daily "wet/dry" meals...do you mean wet mixed together with dry? If so, I don't know why you would want to do that. In any event, he's still a kitten, so I would keep feeding him his wet food and leave some try out for him for at least another few months. When you transition him, I would just transition him to either all wet or mostly wet with perhaps one dry snack a day. You might find that his appetite (or his desire to eat throughout the day) lessens as he gets older, whereupon transitioning will not be as big a problem as you currently suspect.

·
Registered
426 Posts
We feed the turkey and turkey liver formula and the chicken and chicken liver formula to our kitties, and they love it! The beef flavor makes them both sick so we stay away from that flavor, but our picky eaters love it and it is good quality.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My kitten hated the by nature wet food! He prefers chunky wet food, not pate. It was frustrating because I bought it in bulk and ended up selling it for a fraction of what I paid for...ugh...so I don't buy in bulk anymore. But if your kitty does like it, petfooddirect.com often sells the by nature line for cheap!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! Good to know! Booth has actually only ever eaten pate style food so he doesn't really have any idea that he could dislike it. Haha!

Thanks Susan! That was helpful. I got worried becuase on the back of the By Nature dry food bag, in the feeding instructions, it said to start transitioning them to twice daily feedings at 5 months old and I was like "What?!??" Good to know.
What I meant by twice daily wet/dry food feedings is twice daily wet food in one bowl, a little dry in the other. I would go the all wet food route but it looks like he's going to be big enough that he'd end up eating 2 (5oz, no stores near me sell 12oz cans anymore, it's sad) cans a day (according to the feeding instructions) which seems like it could get horrifically expensive. Sorry for being confusing!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Regrettably, you can't trust the feeding instructions on the can. What they suggest is always WAY too much. As a general rule, wet food manufacturers suggest feeding 1 oz per lb of body weight (i.e., 10 ounces for a 10 lb cat). I suspect if you fed that much, your cat would soon weigh 20 lbs!

My girls weigh 8.5 lbs and 7.5 lbs, and are neither underweight nor overweight. If I were to follow the feeding instructions, I would feed them 16 oz per day (combined for both cats). They eat about half of that...often a little less.

So, when it comes time to transition Wallaby to all wet or mostly wet, you'll have to play it by ear...but it's highly unlikely you'll end up feeding him as much as is recommended on the can.

·
Registered
114 Posts
good luck I have not tried the dry food cause it took some weeks for the petsmart I go to have it in and kenji is on blue bufflao wilderness duck flavor. But I did try the wet food and the one and last can they have left was salmon, mackerel and sardine and he liked it but they he thew it up after having it for four days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts