Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been noticing my big boy, Caesar, has taken a liking to anything we have in the house with the really soft downy fur-like fabric, (which i am a huge fan of, so we have tons of blankets, pillows, etc etc.).

He does a little ritual with them, where he kneads and purrs for a few minutes, then he starts pattering his back feet, and before i know it he's crouching and well, you get the picture.

He was neutered young as a kitten, so i'm not sure where this behavior is coming from. I've tried hiding my blankets/pillows with the fuzzy soft, but then he just goes and finds something with a similar texture. As far as i know he hasn't left any "residue" on anything so that is a relief.

I guess my question(s) are, why is he doing this if he is nuetered? And why so often (I catch him doing this 2-3 times a day, and thats when i'm home). Also, would you suggest that I designate one blanket for him and leave it out in a quiet spot for him, so he can do his thing without making anyone have to witness it? I'm not sure if I should be scolding him for this behavior (I started that at first, but it did not help so now I just look the other way), or if its just a natural thing?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
lol. we seem to get this question a LOT. its not uncommon for neuters both male and female to mount objects or each other. Just go to the behavior section and do a search on "mounting". you could try to get him to put all his attention on a specific toy or blanket, but I am really not sure how to go about encouraging it, beside maybe with catnip. But really it is a sensation thing. They like the way it feels so they do it. Also scolding would just make him wary and not really help much.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Neutered cats and dogs will do this, so it's a natural thing. Not all neutered cats do this. I had a neuter that would mount a queen when she was in heat but didn't do it on objects. My present neuter has never done this or shown any inclination. My son used to keep a fuzzy teddy bear for his Yorkie's pleasure he called his "sex bear". So I would put away the fuzzy pillows or whatever you don't want him using and get him his own thing. As he gets older, he may tire or grow out of this habit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My female neutered cat did this too. She loves polar fleece blankets (a lot). I think it's just normal for some animals to do this after neutering. Also you shouldn't worry about "mess", as they are neutered they shouldn't really have the hormonal drive to "follow through" with the deed.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Glad to know that Milky is not the only one who does this! He too has taken a liking to fleece or similar fuzzy fabrics. I was thinking that is was strange for him to "do" what he does since he was neutered and never did it before the op. He doesn't do it for too long though, only about a minute or so, then he goes off and plays with other toys. It's also good to know that I won't be finding any "mess" around. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts