Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about buy this for my cat well nine month old kitten.

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-130-Cat-P ... 711&sr=8-1

He chews and tears up anything plastic in my house so i am trying to figure out a way to keep him and my stuff safe short of shoving him in a small travel kennel for nine to fifteen hours a day.

When me and hubby are at work or gone.

And at night i had to start kenneling my dog because she was using the floor so he does not have his playmate anymore either I was wondering what you guys think

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I wouldn't use a small travel carrier. That could cause litter box issues for the kitty. If you absolutely HAD to cage the cat for the day, I would get a large "cat condo" cage. Put a litter box and some toys and water inside of it. I have a "cat condo" I bought to get my cats acclimated to each other. It looks very much like the kennel shown below.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
raecarrow said:
I wouldn't use a small travel carrier. That could cause litter box issues for the kitty. If you absolutely HAD to cage the cat for the day, I would get a large "cat condo" cage. Put a litter box and some toys and water inside of it. I have a "cat condo" I bought to get my cats acclimated to each other. It looks very much like the kennel shown below.

That what i was saying i would not throw him in a kennel for that long I was saying is the link to the cage good and what would I need to put in there for him.

The cage looks the same i just saw the picture you printed. So yeah I was not really planning on putting him in a cat carrier that would be horrible

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Xanti said:
Please do not lock your cat in anything smaller than a room for that length of time every day :(
I dont have the option of a full kitty safe room. Only a small bathrooom and even thats not safe cause he will eat the soap and he knows how to open the child proof lokc we have tried four to put everything under the cabnet

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
I think you should do a better job of cat proofing and keeping stuff put away. To me, a cage like that is fine for short periods of necessity (e.g. recovering from surgery, for very young kittens), but not for everyday use for a nearly adult cat for potentially the rest of his life.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
doodlebug said:
I think you should do a better job of cat proofing and keeping stuff put away. To me, a cage like that is fine for short periods of necessity (e.g. recovering from surgery, for very young kittens), but not for everyday use for a nearly adult cat for potentially the rest of his life.
I do keep stuff put away he chews on dvd chases and he chews on couches and stuff. I dont have a messy house it very organized. He has a plastic fedish. I live in a one bedroom apartment with dog cat and rabbit so space to make things work and keep thing organized is tight.

Oh my house is cat rabbit and baby proofed I cant leave things laying around. I have to many dangers for to many things if i do

·
Registered
731 Posts
obviously you have to be able to live somewhat normal life, but I wouldnt be surprised at all if his restless behavior is *because* of him being left alone so much...And now it seems to me that he in effect will get punished for that...I made a decision 6 months ago to change my life an go back to school to re-educate myself as a teacher - sold my condo, made a nice little profit so that I can afford that - so I have loads of time to spend with my kitty in a one bedroom apartment. I've often reflected on the fact that I have so few problems with my kitty, pretty much zilch in fact, because she simply gets lots of time and attention from me.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
faithless said:
obviously you have to be able to live somewhat normal life, but I wouldnt be surprised at all if his restless behavior is *because* of him being left alone so much...And now it seems to me that he in effect will get punished for that...

He is only left alone at max three days a week

I help my sister raise her kid Monday through Wednesday hubby works a four four schedule four days on four days off. so there are most weeks where it may be for a day or two or even never left alone at all this has been the the schedule pretty much sense he was born.

So there are weeks where it is three days a week but those are few and for between. Maybe two days But considering most people work five days a week at nine hours a day. I think a couple days a week is not hurting him and causing this behavior. I would be more inclined to think that having to kennel his best friend would be more likly to cause this. Oh and on the day Hubby does work and I am gone. we have a pet sitter come play with them three times a day for a hour each.

And boss has known this person from birth also.

Need less to say I did not give enough info and he would only be in this cage the days we worked or had to leave for the day. He sleep in bed with us. I am also not really worried about my things I am more worried about him. I have pets i don't expect my house to not show signs of that.

I am more worried about a blockage from eating something. so you can look at it as being punished or keeping him safe and hopefully preventing a undo vet bill and surgery for him.

My pets are my babys and trust me if I was really worried about my stuff he would have been in a cage as soon as the problem started. I have been thinking and talking to hubby and when we had to take him in to the vet the other day for a exray because he ate a part of a dvd case that was kinda a wake up call.

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
doodlebug said:
I agree. Those cages are fine for short periods, but if you remove the soap from the bathroom and put a real lock on the cabinet (like a locking hook n' eye-- ask at the hardware store) that will do it. Provide a comfy bed, water, a LB and toys. If you can catproof a larger area, that would be even better.

It shouldn't be that hard to remove plastic items from the area you provide for him. . . give us some examples of the types of things he's going for.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He was eating DVD's But we built a cover for the front of the dvd rack after the vet visit.

He eats trash bags something horrible we had a bag of cloths on the floor for good will to pick up. it was torn to shred after only being on the floor for 5 minutes.

He where not watching him that was our fault.

He chews on the plastic soap container.
Its dove soap. and Ax mens body gel.
He chews his own food bowl not that its a big deal
He has started chewing on a tennis ball today and yesterday.
anything that has food in it. When we go shoping for pet food and we are unloading and chews holes in all the bags.

I am trying to think about things cause we really dont leave anything out he chews on cups that are on the coffie table.

He is very food driven. he did chew on gracrey bags at one point but we only get paper now for that reason.
and we make forage toys out of paper bags for him. he loves those.

Oh he eats hay he love hay and he throws it up every time .

I try to keep it picked up but with anyone that owns a rabbit you know how that goes.

I cant seem to think of anymore at the moment.

I should also say i have never had a completely healthy kitten so having him healthy from jump he behavior is more extreme then what i am used to. I fostered his mom. So I know he was thin but fed really well. I normally get the very sicks one that no one think will make it in a foster situation.

Edit to add- the bathroom is the only room I mean right now he free rome through the living room. If I can remedy this he will still get his free rome. Now our hole apartment is about 700 square feet.

So our living room is the size of a average master bedroom. The bedroom is the rabbits the office area house Phoenix's kennel.

I guess I am lucky he does not chew wires or carpet or jump on counter tops.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hmm.... I thought I had it bad with a cat who will swallow anything that fits in her mouth, but I think you've got it worse! I can understand your frustration, though, and had a few thoughts.

Does he have toys out to play with? Specifically, does he have catnip toys available, since those seem to keep kitties entertained for a while? Does he get a lot of play time to wear him out? Hubby and I have to work really hard to wear out Fergie, but after a lot of trial and error we finally found little puff balls that she loves enough to chase after over and over until she's exhausted. And a tired kitty sleeps instead of chews!

Any boxes for him to play in and chew on? It drives me nuts to pick up little pieces of cardboard, but I'd rather have my girls chew up a box than the furniture.....

I'd choose the bathroom over a cage, and I know what you mean about the cabinet locks because I have the same problem. If you visit a baby store they'll have several different types of cabinet latches, and you should be able to find one that your cat can't get past. Then get a basket for all of your daily toiletries, so you can keep them in the cabinet and they're easy to pull out when you need them. For the shower, you can get a caddy to hang on the showerhead to put those items in and keep them out of his reach. If he destroys the toilet paper, into the cabinet it goes. I know it's a pain, but trust me, I totally understand!

I hope you find a good solution! Let us know what happens!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He does have toy we normally buy a pack from wally world every month when we get paid. I try to buy a toy a month. I keep some of them picked up and change them out every week.

So everything is new. To him at least. He has scratching posts. Does not have a cat tree we are saving for one but can afford the one we want for a couple of more months.

We play catch the mouse every evening with him. Each pet has there own stuff although like I said Phoenix is his best friend she is my dog. She has been around him sense birth. She would partly like him to leave her alone but he even sleep with her. They play like two dogs together.

I dont have box but when I go grocery shopping every week I get five paper bags I put three treats in each bag then put four bags all crumbled up inside one. it normal takes him all week to get all the treats.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Mrs. PBJ said:
I dont have box but when I go grocery shopping every week I get five paper bags I put three treats in each bag then put four bags all crumbled up inside one. it normal takes him all week to get all the treats.
That's so cute! I never thought of doing that with my girls and I think I'll give it a try! (Err, well Fern's smarter so Fergie's going to be upset that she won't get the treats....)

Have you ever tried to get your cat to fetch, since you say he plays like another dog with your dog? Fergie loves to fetch, and it's a great way to wear her out. Even if I'm going to be gone all day, I get to wear her out at breakfast because she'll bring her ball right to me when I'm eating! Or if your cat will chase toys but not bring them back, you could tie a long string/rope onto a favorite toy so you can get him to chase it over and over again and you don't have to go get it. The string also gets Fergie playing like crazy because after she chases her stuffed worm it runs away from her and she has to try to catch it every time!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hm. Do you let the rabbits out of hte cage while you aren't at home? I'm guessing not, so could it be possible to move the rabbit pen into the living room and have the bedroom as his saferoom while you are gone? I'd suggest the same for the office but a bedroom seems easier to "cat proof" than an office. Or if possible, do as hoofmaiden suggests and fully catproof the bathroom.

This guy seems like quite a little troublemaker and you seem like you're at your wit's end with him. Honestly, the cage you've suggested does seem sad, but at the end of the day it is probably better for him to spend some time in a cage a few hours a week rather than be paranoid every time you leave the house and have him shipped back to the vet's again and again and face possible surgery to get something removed from his stomach.

If you do get a pet sitter to come play with them in the middle of day, just make sure you have interactive play sessions before you leave in the morning, when the pet sitter comes over and when you get home so that while he's in the confined area he is worn out and mostly sleeping.

Another suggestion I have is to spray stuff that you know he wants to chew on (eg, DVDs) with something you know he hates, like lemon juice or bitter apple spray.

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Dave_ph said:
Buy the cage and put whatever you don't want chewed inside it.
Perfect! Creative thinking at it's best!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts