Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After another trip to the emergency room this past weekend come to find out that my little Mu now has calcium and magnesium deficiency. Because of her short bowel syndrome she has a hard time with absorbing the necessary vitamins and nutrients. She was put on 1/4 tab of Tums and 1ml of Milk of Magnesia. Does anyone have any thoughts of a very good vitamin supplement instead?

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since she only weighs 5lbs she is on 1/2 packet of FortiFlora a day. She has been on potassium tab Tumil-K 1/2 tab per day but that raised her to 5.2 with blood test last Monday. She has been dropped down to 1/4 tab per day now. She was in ER on Saturday night til Sunday and I had to take her back yesterday morning because she was not eating and having spasms. Found out that the spasms were coming from the low calcium and magnesium. Thanks so much for the eggshell idea. They also told me that she as a low grade heart murmur.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mu is back in the hospital now having seizures. Each time I take her in they seem to have a different diagnosis. They are painting a grave picture for her but I am keeping my faith in her that she is a fighter and will come back from this stronger than even before

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that. My first cat had seizures too, so I know how upsetting it is. My fingers are crossed for a quick recovery for Mu. She sure is adorable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for sending your healing thoughts her way. I picked her up from hospital on Sunday. They told me that she no longer had any seizures but then again she is on the Phenobarbital. They also said that she was having diarrhea but she has had this since her short bowel surgery. When I got her home I was overwhelmed with the amount of diarrhea she had. It was just coming out of her when she is just standing. Find out that they were feeding her just about anything to have her eat which totally upset her entire system. Yesterday was a tough day and I even thought am I doing the right thing. It came to a point where it was almost clear. I was going to take her back but decided maybe I have put her through enough. This morning she seemed to feel better and didn’t have that bad of a night. She is a fighter for sure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had asked about raw diet a while ago and told because she is missing about 80% of her small bowel they are afraid of the bacteria possibility. She is on FortiFlora right now. The one vet at the emergency room contacted University of Pennsylvania and consulted with the Nutritionist there. They have suggested a Hydrolized diet where the proteins are already partially broken down for her. Thats her problem, her body cannot break down complex proteins so therefore she is not absorbing the necessary vitamins and nutrients. Thank you so much for your suggestion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get a call today from the clinic that has done Mu's blood tests confirming that her magnesium level was low, saying that their machine was not calibrated the right way and her magnesium was never low in the first place. Thank God I was never able to find the right supplement to give her and cause her more damage than she already has.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.