Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took her in last week because her right shoulder felt larger than her left. Turns out my loving, gentle little girl has an aggressive, fast-growing cancerous tumor entwined in her left shoulder and invading part of her clavicle. The only treatment is to amputate her front right leg. This is going to be done on Friday. I'm devastated, but I know cats do fine with three legs. She's almost 11 years old, but still runs around like a wild kitty with her sister. In fact, they thought she was very young when I brought her to the vet. She's small, 7 lbs. All her blood work came back good, and all the other tests were fine. They told me she's as healthy as a 2 year old, except for the cancer, of course. She's in good hands, they all love her. They're sending her home with me Friday evening and I was wondering if anyone has gone through this and how the recovery went. I have no idea what to expect.

I think she'll be fine, because when she was a kitten, she broke two toes (same leg that's being amputated) and had to wear a splint. She just held it up a little and ran around on three legs for a few weeks. :)

This is her "I love you this much" picture.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
So sorry to hear your news about Cali's cancer....yes very devastating! All the best for a successful operation and full recovery.....prayers coming to you and Cali.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Aww, Cali is such a cute little lovebug. So sorry you two have to go through this, but she's lucky to have such a perceptive and caring cat guardian. Sending you and your furry family thoughts and purrs.

·
Super Moderator
26,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I guess on one hand I'm glad no one else has gone through this, but I wish I knew what to expect.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am so, so sorry to hear. I can only imagine the pain and sadness you are going through :(
Sending you and dear Cali lots of prayers and love *hugs*

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Oh no Marie, I'm so sorry to hear this. :( That must have been a huge shock to hear.

How did the surgery go? Is she back home with you? I hope the vet gave you some idea of what you might expect as she recovers. I imagine that the fact that she's in good health otherwise will really help to ensure a full, and hopefully, speedy, recovery. Celia sends Cali headbutts of encouragement.

That pic of her is just adorable!

·
Super Moderator
26,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, spirite. Last night did not go well at all. Today, she's walking a few steps, then resting, then walking. She used the litter box and is mostly keeping to herself and I'm leaving her alone. I have to take her back to the vet today and I'm going to get an appetite stimulant, she doesn't want to eat. :(

I know in my heart that in a few days she'll probably be much, much more like herself, but it hurts to see her this way.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I'm so sorry, Marie. : ( Sending all my love and encouraging thoughts your way and hers for her to recover emotionally. I'm sure the physical recovery itself will be fine. When I was visiting one of my fosters at the shelter due to liver failure (really really sad - he didn't make it), I saw at least 3 kitties have legs amputated. They all did fine and were real troopers afterward. A couple were even very lovable still right away and kept demanding pets and head rubs. But that is definitely the harder part i think - the emotional recovery. hang in there. Lots and lots of love to you. love and time conquers all.

·
Super Moderator
26,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much, Maggie.

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Hi Marie, I'm so sorry to hear about sweet little Cali's fight with cancer...However, she will heal quickly! she might be a little perplexed about having to re-think some balancing acts, but, you wait and see, she will amaze you!

The trick is, for you, not to feel guilty, or depressed about what has happened.

Keep all your normal routines going, that will be very reassuring for Cali.
She is one adorable little girl!
Healing prayers for both of you.

Sharon

·
Super Moderator
26,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Sharon and Nan. Cali got her surgical drain removed last night and the vet says she's healing nicely. She gets her many, many staples removed a week from Friday. She takes her bandages off as soon as she gets rebandaged, so I bought some preemie onesies, they fit her perfectly and she leaves them on. Once she starts itching from the healing process that may change.

She's off her pain meds as of last night, although I did hold one dose of each kind back in case I think she's in pain, to use until I can get more, but I think she'll be fine. She's more alert and herself when she's off the meds. I missed my old Cali so much I almost gave her a Snickers bar. :)

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Oh wow, being off the pain meds is a huge step. It sounds like the recovery is going really well. If she starts to fuss with the onesie, I guess it's a bit of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you don't want her to slow the healing, but on the other, it would definitely tell you that she's feeling just fine thank you. :) It's pretty amazing how quickly this all happened, and how quickly she's recovering.

How are *you* doing? This is probably more stressful for you than it is for her.

Can we see her in her onesie? :)

·
Super Moderator
26,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well I put her back on the pain meds but just small doses to wean her off just in case she's still having a bit of pain.

We're both doing much better, today was a good day, she came out and ate with the girls and watched me fix their food like usual and tonight the same thing.

this is this is Cali in her onesie with a peeps someone bought her

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Gah, she's so cute!! So is she getting around ok?

Pain meds are much more effective if you start them before the pain is severe, so I think it's smart of you to play it safe and give Cali meds if there's the slightest possibility that she's in pain. Celia started bup a few days ago, and she was doing so well after the first dose that I skipped the optional second daily dose. Ugh. It took 2 more doses for it to really kick in again.

·
Super Moderator
26,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I fell asleep on the sofa tonight and she woke me up by jumping on top of me. Yay!!!! And then she ate all of her meal and wanted more, which I gave her.

I got a call from her vet late today and they said from the leg that was sent to the vet, it had margins that were completely clean so hopefully they got it all.

I told my vet that if anyone has any doubts about this kind of surgery or any questions or if they want to see Cali, they are welcome to come and see her and hear about her recovery, good and bad.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm glad Cali's doing better marie, you're a wonderful "mum" to her, whatever happens please don't forget this *hugs*

·
Super Moderator
26,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! She's been out and about all day, not behind the sofa. I ordered some long plush mats which will arrive tomorrow. I'll put them all around my bed, so Cali can start sleeping in the bedroom again. It will be nice for everyone to have something soft to land on.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.