Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I'm looking into getting a calico kitten from a friend. I am curious though - there are 3 kittens in the litter. Is this possible? Not sure of the parents, but I always thought that typically these is one calico in a litter.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The colour of the kittens have nothing to do with how many they are. The colour depends on the genetics.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
I guess if your speaking of genetics statistically, then it is not as common to have more than one calico in a litter, but it does happen.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yep.. 2 can be in a litter.

The litter my two cats came from had 2 calicos. It was a rather odd litter though, 2 grey males, one long hair and one short. And two pastel calicos (grey orange and white). The mother was grey and white. No idea what the father looked like. So calicos are just a mutation in the gene, so you can have more than one to a litter.

Amanda

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Wow, that's a quite "technical" and theoretic link :wink:

In short you can say that all calicos and torties are female for one simple reason: To become a calico or female you need to be an xx (gender chromosomes) and males are normally xy.

There are exceptions though:

1. The male have abnormal gender chromoses, xxy instead of just xy.

2. The male is genetically red but develops spots of dark pigement which makes him look like a tortie, but genetically he's red.

Tortie/calico-males are almost always sterile.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts