Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my cat gave birth to a litter about 7 weeks ago. one of them is mostly black but it has orange patches on him anda few white patches on his eyes and tummy does he classify as a calico or do theyhave to be white with color patches? i know male calicoes go for a lot of money but iwant t be shure he is really a calico before trying to sell him.

·
Super Moderator
26,491 Posts
A male calico or tortie is rare, but I don't think it makes him worth any more money. Hopefully you're going to have them all fixed before try to find good, loving homes for them - which should be when they're at least 12 weeks old.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
In general, I'd say this kitten is either female or a male with roufus coloring among his tabby markings. Male calicos are rare and while the possibility is there ... it is a very *small* possibility so I'd lean heavily towards female. Having reddish fur among the tabby pattern wouldn't make any cat/kitt a calico, it is simply pigment placement on the hairshaft governed by agouti.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm positive he is a male the question is does black with orange and white markings count as calico?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i'm positive he is a male the question is does black with orange and white markings count as calico?
That depends; can you post a picture of him? Its hard to tell without a picture because you can have tortoishell cats with white markings that look similar to a calico cat. The placement of the white and the % of white covering the body is how you would tell the difference. Also, like the others said, male calicos/torties are rare because they would have to have xxy chromosomes to display that color pattern versus the regular xy.

·
Super Moderator
26,491 Posts
Male calicos don't "go for a lot of money" as far as I know. They're almost always sterile, so they can't mate and make more rare cats (i.e., make more money for the owner). All they are is unique, not worth more, so I don't think you'd have much luck trying to "sell" this kitty and make a nice profit, unless you falsely advertise him and sell him to people who don't know any better.

I hope you're going to keep your kittens for at least another five weeks before separating them from their mom.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I agree with Marie. Even though male calicos are rare, they're no more valuable than any other cat. So, I'd focus on finding a good home for the kitten, regardless of his coloring.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Male calicos don't "go for a lot of money" as far as I know. They're almost always sterile, so they can't mate and make more rare cats (i.e., make more money for the owner). All they are is unique, not worth more, so I don't think you'd have much luck trying to "sell" this kitty and make a nice profit, unless you falsely advertise him and sell him to people who don't know any better.

I hope you're going to keep your kittens for at least another five weeks before separating them from their mom.
I agree!!

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Black with Orange and White markings (or gray/blue and white) can be called Calico, Tortoiseshell or Torbie (tabby w/ tortoiseshell).

Pictures of this kitten for verification, please?
One showing the coat and markings for pattern determination...
One showing the 'private area' for gender confirmation...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Doesnt the fact it is a male calico denote some sort of genetic defect? I am no expert but I thought it implied it had an extra chromosome somewhere (making it xxy to carry the extra gene) which meant they could get heart defects and have short life spans, therefore probably making them 'less valuable' (if we are to place a value on the cat)

I would simply concentrate on finding a safe, loving home for the kitten, rather than trying to fetch a high price for something based on 'rarity'

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Me three, except I'm not even seeing a red "X".
I think it depends on your browser, maybe...

Clearly, no one is seeing the picture, though.

mellnoel, go to ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting and select Browse, find your image and select it then click Upload, once it has uploaded (might take about 30 seconds), click the Forum Code link, it'll get highlighted, and then copy it (press the keys Ctrl and C at the same time) and then paste it here (by pressing Ctrl and the letter V at the same time).

·
Super Moderator
26,491 Posts
Yes, that x is much brighter. :grin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts