Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually, Governor Schwarzenegger proposes:

increasing the gas tax, when we already pay the highest prices in the nation (most of the time)

increasing the sales tax by 1.5% - already 7.75% to 8.5% in San Diego - which means some parts of San Diego would have a 10% sales tax!

giving taxpayers IOU's for state tax refunds (non-interest bearing, of course)

AND......

taxing veterinarian services!!!!!! :evil:

Vets statewide oppose this! They fear people will put off necessary appointments and even emergency services, as they're more expensive.

The logic behind this? The Governor considers pets a “luxury” item and proposes the sales tax on vet services as well as these luxuries: appliance and furniture repair and vehicle repair. Repairs are luxuries???

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Pets ARE a luxury. Repairs aren't though ... kinda essential really.

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If buying a pet isn't considered a luxury and there's no sales tax on their purchase, I don't see how vet services can be justified as a luxury.

I would agree with you if there was a luxury tax on pet sales to begin with.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
marie73 said:
If buying a pet isn't considered a luxury and there's no sales tax on their purchase, I don't see how vet services can be justified as a luxury.

I would agree with you if there was a luxury tax on pet sales to begin with.
Perhaps he will tax pet sales too Marie :?

Pets are a luxury. They are not essential. Well, in theory anyway. They are essential to me though that's for sure. ;)

Its a shame he has gone down this route though what with the credit crunch. More and more pets are already being surrendered to shelters ... this wont help at all.

Mind you, I'm more shocked by his IOU proposal to be honest.

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I was getting money back, that's the one that would be #1 on my hit list, too! This is the first year that I won't be getting money back. And of course, no one will get interest on their refund no matter how long it takes to actually get it. :? This has been proposed before, and the outcry of protest has always made them change their mind at the last minute. What will probably happen will be a "delay" in refunds......which is really the same thing, minus an actual paper "IOU."

·
Registered
981 Posts
hugh I think thats the first thing we have agreed on!!!!! I laughed my butt off when I found out they voted him in!!!

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
I saw a documentary on Arnie recently. I know nothing about his government polices but he has my respect as someone who worked his way up from nothing.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
melysion said:
I saw a documentary on Arnie recently. I know nothing about his government polices but he has my respect as someone who worked his way up from nothing.
Now I'm not saying the Terminator is a Nazi, but Adolf Hitler worked his way up from nothing to being the most powerful man in Europe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts