Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone dealt with any of the local rescues/shelters? My friends want to adopt a cat and since I'm the crazy cat lady and they all ask me for advice. Problem is I have never adopted from a shelter/rescue here. I know VOKRA, the sanctuary in Richmond and the SPCA shelters, but I'm sure there are more. Has anyone dealt with any of them? Good or bad feedback? Any recommendations?
Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I haven't dealt with any rescues/shelters personally, but I've heard of LAPS (Langley Animal Protection Society) by watching livestream of a foster mom who really had a struggle a few months back with 10 feral kittens without a mother! They were all malnourished, some sick, and couple of kits had ringworms! Just observing her really care for the kittens made the impression that LAPS were a good organization. Their link:
Langley Animal Protection Society

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
My vote is always going to be for RAPS. Nope. Not biased at all. :lol:But really, they made the city of Richmond no-kill, have banned the sale of dogs in pet stores (and this put a few out of business), and got that law passed about not keeping dogs chained up outside. They also made it mandatory to spay/neuter cats.They also found homes for those ~35 dogs that were dumped outside their doors one night. And of course have the largest cat sanctuary North America...

I don't know about other organizations, but I would check out RAPS and see if they have a cat or kitten that they're interested in. One of the last time I was at their shelter I saw a Burmese and a Bengal.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I haven't dealt with any of them. There is RAPS in Richmond, VORKA, SPCA, Surrey Animal Resource Center, LAPS in Langley, Delta Community Animal Shelter, CARES in Langely, and Sarah Society.

Someone posted in kijji a list of no kill shelters in the Lower Mainland.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Here's something interesting I just read about RAPS vs the SPCA. https://m.facebook.com/AnimalAdvocatesSociety/posts/358229954272660 I'd known a little about it but never had all the articles laid out together before for comparison.

I don't think the SPCA likes their control taken from them... Richmond is likely the only city in Canada without the SPCA primarily in command.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts