Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miss M was recently spayed. Now she's calling. Has anyone experienced this? The vet assured me she was not in heat and that we had effectively spayed prior to the first heat cycle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Are you sure she's doing a mating call at all? That is very odd if you ask me, especially since you mention that she was never in heat beforehand.

What age is she now and when did you get her, is it possible that she was in heat before you got her?

Otherwise, I suppose it's possible that the vet didn't remove everything?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm not an expert nor any close to that, but I've just did a very basic search on google and I got from it is that: it either isn't calling or your vet didn't remove everything and she's going through heat.

Try grabbing her scruff and seeing if she goes into the mating position (lordosis)?

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
Dave_ph has a cat that had supposedly been spayed before he got her and she kept going into heat. The vet finally decided to do an exploratory and found some tissue (ovarian, I assume) that had been left behind. I'm fuzzy on the details, but I seem to remember it was a dangerous surgery because it needed to be done while she was in heat so it would be easier to identify the tissue. I'm sure Dave can provide more details and correct whatever I've mangled up. Anyway...it's definitely a possibility...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'll call the vet in the morning. She's added presenting to the dog to her repertoire so there's no doubt she's calling.
Hope everything goes well with her!

Furthermore, I might be overreacting (concerned for you and your kitty, that is), but this is the vet that made her go through several days without food, yes? If it were me, I'd go for a second opinion on this.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
is the vet that made her go through several days without food, yes? If it were me, I'd go for a second opinion on this.
^^^This^^^

I know you trust this guy, but given that the general feeling among the rest of us that this guy's methods are questionable, I'd SERIOUSLY consider a second opinion and/or another vet at this point.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
How long ago was she spayed? If it was recent, there may be some leftover hormones in her system & they haven't leveled out. If not this, then it is likely that some tissue might have been left behind :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
How long ago was she spayed? If it was recent, there may be some leftover hormones in her system & they haven't leveled out. If not this, then it is likely that some tissue might have been left behind :(
Is this even possible? I am asking about the 'leftover hormones' theory because after trying to research it for a while, I found nothing (google skills are failing me), or rather, all I found about female cats in estrus after spaying had to do with the reproductive organs not having been properly removed. Or to Ovarian Remnant Syndrome.

That's not to say I don't believe you, of course. I was just wondering because even if there are leftover hormones, wouldn't it be necessary for the cat to still have some tissue inside her to display the in heat behaviour?

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
I think the left over hormones theory is unlikely since the cat never went into heat before spaying...since the hormone levels were never high enough to trigger a cycle before, where would the additional hormones come from now? (unless there was some tissue left behind)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the vet's best bet. His theory is that we got her in right before her first heat. He wants to closely monitor her, and if this happens again go in for more surgery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts