Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am taking my 3 year old male to the vet in an hour.. last minute vet call. He has something funky going on with his ears and I believe its Ringworm :(

Anyway, I took him in to the vet 3 weeks ago for his annual, and he was an absolute terror. He was SO stressed that he bit, hissed, scratched, growled, yowled, everything. He acted like a feral. The vet had such a hard time handling him that they had to sedate him to do his checkup and shots :(

Aside from Feliway spray in crate and car, does anyone have suggestions on how to keep him calm, or at least calm enough to where he doesn't need to be sedated tonight? I am sure he'll freak out again. I really don't want him sedated since it was hard on my wallet AND him.

I am hoping for some advice within the hour.. I wish I could've posted earlier, but I needed to go through the probationary period before I could post here, and it was a last minute vet call too.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Feed him some catnip; it's a mild sedative after the initial craziness wears off in about 10 mins. Tho if he had that bad a reaction the last time at the vet, it may not work. Perhaps ask your vet for a tranquilizer for the next time if he's still unmanageable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your reply. The vet didn't even take him out of the carrier, and thankfully he didn't need to be sedated.

·
Registered
214 Posts
^That's good news. I'm glad things went better than thought.

When I take my little ones to the vet I wrap them in a blanket, usually one they sleep on. It helps them stay a little more comfortable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used Monet's blanket, he was hiding under it in the crate, lol.

Now just gotta wait a week for the cultures to come back to confirm ringworms. ugh

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Perhaps this was just the thing for him to learn it's not so bad. This time they didn't even touch him. Just a ride in the crate a swab through the kennel door and home again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts