Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am in a city in the UK being affected by the riots at the moment and my cats are very frightened - especially my cat in very late pregnancy.

It's ever so noisy with lots of shouting, screaming, violence, sirens and loud bangs. I am keeping them all together in the quietest room in the house but it's still noisy and they can pick up on our nervousness also I think...

Does anyone have any home remedies or ideas that will keep them calm - especially my pregnant girl, she's days (if that) away from birth and i'm worried her babies will be under pressure and strain.

Please, any ideas would be so helpful and would keep my mind off things!

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
First, I am sorry to hear what is going on in the UK. Are you able to get Feliway? I know that helps my kitties stay calm when they are dealing with each other. Not sure how it would work with outside noise though.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Short of your picking up a calming homeopathic remedy, which may or may not be easy for you where you live, my main suggestion would be for you make sure you are calm and confident around your cats and talk to them soothingly a number of times a day. Since you have rightly pointed out that they pick up on your nervousness, so they also should receive your signal that everything is ok, if you keep repeating it to them and, importantly, actually show it in your body language, not just say it. I may just be fortunate, but none of my cats gets the least jumpy during thunder and lightning storms, and one reason I believe is that I remain calm and tell them everything is fine. I just sit there, going about my business, and so do they, even though we hear loud crashes outside every now and then. They realize they are safe inside the house, as yours should, too.

Especially with a late stage pregnant cat, that is my most practical suggestion for the moment.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
As NRD says, the best way to help is to stay as calm as possible yourself. Do your best to ignore the noise. As has been mentioned here before, cats watch us and take their cues from our behaviour. I'm wondering if too much calming talk may be a sort of signal to them. Noise + different behaviour on your part may signal that something is not right. It's a very difficult situation for you. Here's hoping that the situation calms soon.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Oh, golly, I'm sending out vibes.
The closest experience I have is when we have a severe thunderstorm. Ritz is afraid of very loud thunder and hail. I think you're right to keep the cats in the quietest room, I would move favorite toys and blankets in there, and play soft music (classical music, string instrumentals with harps). Feliway, too (if they have it in the UK).
You've put a personal touch on the riots in UK. Keep us up to date. Thanks.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Oh goodness me. I live in England too, so I can relate to how you must be feeling.

I'd follow the advice above, Feliway really helped to calm my girls (you can buy it in Pets at Home if you need it promptly). Try and keep yourselves calm (easier said than done when a riot is at your door!), play some music to mask the sounds and calm your little ones down. You could try relaxing candles (I have no idea if this works for cats, but it's worth a try!). I really do wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
474 Posts
i'm sorry to hear about this. i don't have any advice to offer aside from what everyone has said, but my thoughts are with you and your kitties.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Odd as this may sound, I think actually talking to them quietly about what's going on might be good too, as well as reassuring them about their own safety. I am sure they are looking to their human family for clues as to what all the craziness is about, it must be confusing and stressful for everyone.

I realize I know a family in Nottingham, too - the father taught at our local University for a term one summer, and I met the mom and all of the kids when my son was in Cub Scout camp with the boy. I hope the violence passes, it would be nice if some of the underlying issues get addressed too - all over the world there are societies straining under such an onslaught of heartbreaking problems...

Fran

1 - 9 of 9 Posts