Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3:00 a.m. I heard Stephen growling up a storm. Sure enough, there was Calvin on the porch trying to get in.

I brought him in since it was cold out (30 degrees) and put him in the laundry room. We were happy to see him, but we also do not want to encourage the behavior. But I couldn't leave him outside in the cold with no claws!

I walked him home this morning. No one answered, but I put him in the back yard with a 7 ft. privacy fence. Didn't know what else to do. Guess if he's at the house tonight, I'll try returning him again.

·
Registered
611 Posts
May I ask why you don't want to encourage him? Assuming that the family actually does love him and not let him out intentionally, wouldn't it be better for him to be safe inside your house if he escapes than outside with no claws? Do you have their phone number still, or any way to contact them?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just don't want them to think I'm trying to take their kitty. I'm glad he likes our home and knows he has a place to go, but I don't want to cause issues with the neighbors.

I don't think they let him out on purpose. Last time, she said she thinks her mom let him out when she was visiting. They also have a very young girl (probably about 2) who might have contributed also.

I do not have their phone number still, but they live just across the alley.

Believe me, it's not that we don't like seeing him again... :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
I guess I was just thinking about me being those people. If it were me, I would feel much more comforted knowing that my cat had a place to go if he was let out and especially that he actually liked going there.

I guess there's another possibility of resentment for some sort of positive reinforcement issues. Or of feeling like my privacy is invaded somehow, you know like Earnest gets a cat or something. But really, I'm just speculating now. I'd be much more likely to feel comforted with the idea of someone looking after my cat if it gets left outside.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It's nice that he comes to visit but it's just the fact that he doesn't have his claws that concerns me. Is he's in the wrong place at the wrong time who knows if you ever see him again. I wish these people cared more for their cat that they would want to keep a closer eye on him if he's not supposed to be an outdoor cat. Once is an accident, twice indicates a pattern.

Anytime anyone comes over, I always make sure that I know where Barnaby is when the door is being opened.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts