Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going on a camping trip in June, and I'm preparing for it now. I was planning on taking a bunch of non-cook food, and only using one pan to heat water in the morning for cocoa and night for soup...and use only one big cup for both (plastic stuff might melt, and makes extra garbage to carry out). Then I realized I can have tin-foil dinners! No pan and/or dishes to clean, minimal trash...it's perfect! Only problem: I am NOT a cook! I haven't the foggiest idea what sort of ingredients to use and what goes good with whatever else.
I've started doing a web search, but figure I can get even more ideas here, too. I would like ideas for at least breakfast and dinner, I know about a few dessert recipes (baked bananas!). All perishables (meat, eggs, cheese) will be stored in the cooler - hopefully stays frozen at least the first couple days - until cooking time.
So...anybody?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I would say that whenever you are making your regular dinners, cut a slice of whatever meat and store it in the freezer to take on your trip (like meatloaf, sausage patties, ham, etc). Fish like salmon cook very well in tinfoil with a small pat of butter & whatever seasoning you prefer. You could also do several different kinds of sandwiches- grilled cheese, melts, paninis, breakfast sandwiches, etc. Baked potatoes would be pretty easy to make too. Lastly, I know that things like stuffed shells will heat pretty well in tinfoil because we once had to heat them over the fireplace after a really bad ice storm that knocked the power out for several days.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
not a tin foil meal, but one pan, kilbasa+potatos+onions+apples . start with cooking the kilbasa sliced in a pan, add sliced potatos and onions and keep frying the last few minutes add apple slices to the mix, the kilbasa will provide the oils needed for cooking plus some spice.. neat thing this meal can work for breakfast, lunch or dinner (peppers sweat or hot can be added also)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
not a tin foil meal, but one pan, kilbasa+potatos+onions+apples . start with cooking the kilbasa sliced in a pan, add sliced potatos and onions and keep frying the last few minutes add apple slices to the mix, the kilbasa will provide the oils needed for cooking plus some spice.. neat thing this meal can work for breakfast, lunch or dinner (peppers sweat or hot can be added also)
Ooo, my version of this is apples and maple sausage. I brown the maple sausage (I like Wholefoods maple sausage) with onions. I chop the sausage so it is more evenly distributed. Add golden delish. apples (other apples don't have the right texture) and I season it with brown sugar, a couple large pinches of regular sugar, cinnamon, a little chili powder, garlic and onion powder. Stir thoroughly every 10 min or so. Cook until the apples are soft. Pour over rice, mashed potatoes, boiled potatoes (any starch really).

Use more cinnamon and sugar for breakfast, more chili powder for lunch/dinner. Either way, you at least need some of all three. I know the combination sounds weird but trust me, it tastes more like dessert and less like breakfast if you don't add a little chili powder to the "breakfast" version and if you have chili powder without the cinnamon or sugar it tastes funky.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a little propane stove that I'll heat water on for cocoa in the morning and soup at night. But for solid food, I was hoping to stick with just having it in foil packets and cooking on coals of a wood fire (I'll have a fire pit, but no grill or anything to go over it).

Oohhh, I didn't think about sandwiches!
I was also thinking maybe I could just pre-make everything at home, then wrap it in the foil and freeze it. Then when I get there, all I'd really need to do is put it on the coals for a couple minutes for warming (kinda like microwave), rather than full cooking. Quicker, for one thing, and I wouldn't have to worry about under-cooking anything too.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Yes salmon. You could just foil wrap some slices of lemon on the salmon and that's it. Very simple and tastes great.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bah.. and we don't even have pictures! I was going a Google search for these, BEFORE lunch, and pictures make you even MORE hungry!

Speaking of which... I'ma go eat today's lunch, and THEN search more recipes

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
Here are some things I found on teh intwerbz :p I typed "campfire cooking with aluminum foil" into google.

Hobo Dinner Recipe
Chicken Foil Dinner Recipe
Pocket Pizza Recipe
Campfire Foil Packs Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Cooks.com - Recipe - Cook Your Meal In Foil (lots of ingredients but you can mix the spices @ home and store in a ziploc baggie)
Cooks.com - Recipe - Campfire Pizzas

Some recipes about 2/3rds down use foil: Campfire Cooking - Eartheasy.com Solutions for Sustainable Living
You were worried about undercooking, this site has cooking times as well as recipes: Aluminum Foil - FUNdamentals of Camping
Some recipes here too: Foil-Wrapped Recipes

Also never to be forgotten 'food on a stick' :) You can stick a can of beans right in the fire (please open it first) and put a hot dog on a stick to roast with it. That was my favorite from the old (and I do mean old) girl scout days.

Desserts (The best part, imo)
Banana Boats Recipe
Dessert Burritos Recipe
Cooks.com - Recipe - Chocolate Eclairs - Campfire Cooking

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oohhh, desserts. I may actually make 3/4 of my foil things as desserts. I just got told that there will be hot food (REAL dinners) sold in the merchant area. Still would be nice to have something quick (and free!) for myself most nights.
I'm soooo excited for this! I gotta start making more garb! I only have 1 outfit so far!
(it's an SCA trip)

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
"have fun storming the castle"

·
Registered
506 Posts
The original "camping" dinner. C-Rations. :p

You can cook it over a stove -

Or - You can hang it over the back deck, and heat it using the exhaust of a giant diesel engine. :p

·
Registered
506 Posts
Oh yeah - the B2 units had fruit cocktail and cake. Nobody wanted the ham and limas, so if you could trade them off it was a win. :p One of my tank commanders (a Korean War Vet) actually liked it, so we had a source for something else if you drew the short straw. :p

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
The original "camping" dinner. C-Rations. :p[/IMG]
Well...original would probably be something closer to mammoth meat on a stick and some sort of tuber dug from the ground.....

or maybe something like rabbit and johnnycakes/cornbread mush eaten from the back of a canvass covered wagon....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts