Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the post on "saving choking cats" and one on "Whole Prey) feeding and it got me to thinking/worrying.

Squiggy (my garage cat) has killed and eaten at least 9 rabbits, a handfull of birds, several mice and a mole last summer that I know of. All that is left of the birds is a small pile of feathers and maybe a head. Of the rabbit, an ear, a few inches of intestine and a back foot. The mice are GONE.

Questions:

1) Does the cat actually eat ALL of the animal? I can't believe that a cat would eat EVERYTHING. Bones, fur, feathers! However, for a day or so after one of these kills Squiggy lays around acting like he ate a brick making the same kind of noises that I would make if I ate a rabbit pelt.

2) Can a cat choke on a chicken bone? I was thinking of trying "Whole Prey" or "Frankenprey", but I am paranoid that he would choke on a chicken bone or something.

·
Registered
805 Posts
1. Yes, they actually do. This is why when you feed a raw diet, you have to include bone and lots of vitamins, to make up for the 'rest' of the animal. (With birds, they usually rip most of them off first, but if your cat is eating it whole, I'm sure some feathers get swallowed as well.)

2. As long as the bone is raw (cooked bones are a no-no) your kitty should be fine. Is it Possible for him to choke? Yes, but it seems he has enough experience eating animals already, he should be fine.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I won't be staying up late at night in the hopes of observing that little bit of cat behavior! I guess that I was assuming that there would be a nice pile of picked over bones laying on a rabbit pelt. More like "Wild Kingdom", eh!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts