Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I've noticed this a while back, but only thought to ask now:

Lumen (a blue cat with green eyes, looks like a Russian Blue or Korat) has had about three or four random grey/white hairs scattered through her fur, just on her back. They're just single white hairs in her otherwise smooth blue fur. There is one in the middle of her back that has always been in the same spot, and the two or three others come and go. Very strange.

I don't have any pictures of them, but here's a picture of her anyway just because.

Can cats "go grey"?

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I am not aware of cats going grey the way we do or the way dogs often do around their faces. If a cat or dog is injured, however, the hair above the injury will often grow back in grey.

Laurie

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Perhaps Lu had an injury when she was homeless. However, it's just a single hair. Laurie - would it be a patch of hair or just a single?

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
One of the fascinating and sad things about cats is they can outwardly show no signs of aging and then almost over night become old and feeble.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Solid color cats can often have stray white hairs. Usually they're on the chest or below the neck as a "locket", but can also appear on elsewhere. Cats don't usually go grey as a sign of aging. Had a cat same color as Lumen that was a Manx/Russian Blue mix that had a few stray white hairs on his neck, but never got any more and he lived to be 17-1/2 yrs.

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
Maggie is all black but has a handful of white hairs on her chest and then 3 or 4 on various places on her body. It's pretty common.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
If I look really close at Blacky, besides the three white patches on her chest/stomach I can find odd white hairs here and there too... but cats don't really go grey the way people or ever dogs do.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
If the white hair was from an injury, it would be a patch equivalent to the size of the injury. I single white hair here and there is probably just part of her coat pattern.

Laurie

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Gracie is not supposed to have any light colored hair on her ~ just "blue", but I remember when she was a young kitten we found a tiny white patch in the middle her tummy. Hubby and I were kind of surprised, and then we realized it was her belly button :grin: .

Fran

·
Registered
155 Posts
Matrix is 10 years old, and he's got a cluster of white hairs on his chest and belly. Not really a patch, though.
He does have some white hairs sprinkled on him, but other than that, he looks like he could be 8 years younger. I noticed that when we put him on a better food, he had less white hairs. He still has them, just not as many.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Stray white hairs or ticking are common in all species, I've certainly see a lot of cats with the odd white hair ... definitely more common as the coat ages ... the same as white scars, it may just be where one follicle is damaged, or has lost pigment.

Then of courses there's vitiligo - never seen a cat with it (though they can suffer from it)

I've known many horses and dogs greying a bit in old age, but never a cat ... maybe they have some secret age-defying genes :worship

1 - 11 of 11 Posts