Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds crazy that I'm worried about this, but over the last 2 weeks my 1 year old cat Freja has started purring almost non-stop. Everytime I look over at her she has her little motor going; the only time she seems to stop is playtime and showing off toys time (She parades her toys around the apartment with a very loud meow). I've heard that cats will purr if they're in pain, and they are so stoic they won't always tell you if they're hurting. She shows other affection signs: nose rubbing, head bonks, general snuggling and grooming. She eats/drinks/litters per her usual routine. I'm going to feel silly taking her to the vet for "purring"; is there another way to tell if she's in pain?

·
Registered
245 Posts
They self soothe this way - pain or stress could be a factor. Any changes in your home or your/her routine that could have caused a bit of stress?

Other than that I don't know much more about it... My older cat did this when we brought our 2 kittens in the house first.. She stopped it about 2 weeks after we got them so in her case it was just stress from added furballs flying around the house :D

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Cats purr when they are in pain -- I heard that too. But I also heard it must be extreme pain, like giving birth, broke a leg, etc. So I wouldn't say your kitty is purring out of pain if she is still playing/eating/using litter box.

Another thought: Is your kitty spayed? If she is not, then maybe she is in heat. Female cats in heat show extra signs of affection, like rubbing, head butting. Don't know about the purr part, but certainly possible!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts