Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this seems insane to be asking; but my 1 year old calico Freja has been acting strangely in the past couple of days. She's gotten more affectionate and has started this very loud cry that's somewhere between a yowl and a meow, especially at night. She also sometimes reverse arches her back which I've never seen her do. Last night I heard another cat outside making similar yowling noises. She was spayed 2 months ago and the records from the vet say "Routine hysterectomy and bilateral salpingoophorectomy," so I know they took her ovaries too. I just don't get the behavior and I'm scared she's going to break out of my apartment somehow if she's really in heat and theres a tom somewhere trying to woo her.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Cats around 1 year are still developing their personalities so some behavior changes can still be pretty normal. She could also be responding to the other cat, not necessarily as "I want that hot stud muffin" but as a cat defending her turf and letting that other cat know she's there. Is she an only cat? If she is, and isn't used to being around other cats, that could be why this one is getting such a response from her. It shouldn't be because she's in heat.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Sometimes when they accidentally leave a little bit of the uterus a cat will continue to go into heat. We had that happen once with a foster that had been adopted!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts