Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen other threads about this topic, but not for my specific problem.

My roommates cat Diego is a picky eater. He's a four year old tabby that has cottoned on to the idea that if he decides he's done with a food flavor or type, he just won't eat it and mom and dad will buy him a whole gauntlet of different flavors and brands to find whatever he wants now.

My cat Mundy has never been like this, in all the 7 years I've had her. Starting in the last month or so, she's begun doing the same thing. She's decided she won't touch fish or beef anymore, and it has to be chicken only, and don't even think about it being shredded pieces or she'll yarts it up a few feet away because she ate too fast. And now I'm not even sure she wants the chicken either, because she won't touch this other brands actual chicken bits flavor.

She won't even consider dry food anymore after we made the switch to wet two years ago.

I'm at a loss. This food juggling and waste is becoming a bit expensive, and she's very healthy in every other way. We bought pretty litter to be sure of it.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Yes, cats can be "copy cats" for sure! My Zuba is a counter surfer----he's better now than he used to be.....only does it if I'm not in the kitchen, and jumps down if he hears me coming. Fitty Pisky didn't conter surf when he was young kitten at 4 mos., but after a while he copied Zuba, and is very stubborn about getting off them. I did find that auto-spray Psssst! effective, but I didn't replace it after it ran out. Fitty has recently been so bold as to jump on the counter when I'm preparing food which I don't like at all, especially if I'm cutting up chicken or other meat, so now I put him in a nearby cat carrier until I've finished any food prep.

·
Registered
14 Posts
They sure can be bad influences on each other and it always seems like it’s the bad habits they adopt and not the good ones! Have you tried separating them during feeding time so your can not learn the bad habits? I would say her habit of not eating dry food anymore is a good one only because of how bad dry food is for them nutritionally and the high risk it causes for them being overweight and getting diabetes. Had one of ours become diabetic and have switched all of ours to wet pate only food and none of them are any longer overweight! I would say if your girl is healthy I would separate the cats during feeding time and give her what you want her to eat and if she doesn’t eat it then she’s gonna be a little hunger till the next meal. I bet she soon learns to eat what is in front of her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts