Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so quite a few weeks ago I found a little kitten and eventually decided to keep him. He is estimated at about 9 weeks old, almost 10. I feed my dog raw so I figured what better food for a kitty? First I started out with ground, then moved up to chunks, and today he had his first whole bone in meal. I gave him a chicken wing, not really expecting him to make progress with bone. Man was I wrong!

Anyway, my dog walked up to the crate while he was eating and he started growling loudly! I put my hand by the crate and he growled lightly. I then went to take away the last bit of bone he couldn't eat, and he started attacking my hand (I had a towel wrapped around my hand).

I'm not an experienced cat owner so I've never heard of food aggression in cats. Is there a way to stop this behavior? Cats are awfully hard to train. My dog used to have food aggression but I quickly trained that out of her. I know the techniques I used on my dog certainly aren't going to work on him though. Honestly, I'm a little scared of this kitten lol.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Most kittens are like this with food. Even sometimes with toys! Mine would growl at each other, and even their mom if they had the good fuzzy toy and someone came and tried to take it. The best thing you can do is ignore it, he will most likely grow out of it. He will eventually relize that no one is going to take his food. You don't really need to "train" him, like you would a dog.

Also, are you feeding him a balanced raw diet? The dietary needs of cats differ from those of dogs, so you just want to be sure that he is getting everything he needs. THere are a ton of resources available on this forum regarding raw feeding. And yes, raw is the best food for your kitten! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol that's relieving to know it's quite normal. I got my last cat from the shelter when she was 5 years old so I've never seen that behavior.

As for feeding, I choose to feed both him and my dog the "prey model raw" style of feeding. Both get 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and usually 5% kidney over a week span. So I do feed them the same way. This is always how I've fed my dog raw and thought it was okay to feed cats this way too?

·
Registered
716 Posts
OK, yes those are the appropriate percantages for cats as well. I don't know much about canine nutrition so I wasnt sure it would be the same. One thing that cats do need that dogs don't is Taurine. Taurine is found in muscle meat that is worked the hardest by the prey animal. So if you are feeding chicken, the heart muscle has the most taurine , then thigh, then breast. So as long as your cat is getting a substantial amount of muscle that have high levels of taurine, you are good to go. My cats love hearts!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! I'll make it easy for everyone and feed them away from each other.

Glad I wasn't feeding him wrong, I do give quite a bit of heart and thigh meat since I've always heard cats need a lot of taurine. The joys of starting them young. He eats EVERYTHING I give him! Ha.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Same here- i started my kitten on raw, and he eats everything. Its good to know food agression is normal... I just wish he'd calm down (for himself) when he eats, he gorges like a dog, which I know isnt very good.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Glad you can feed both species raw.
Cats do not need any kind of carbohydrate, that includes grain and vegetables. Indeed, cats can't process carbs.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
We have six cats of varying ages and have had cats for over 50 years. One of ours is probably the most gentle and docile we have ever had except with food. He growls, steals, etc. but if necessary we remove him or the food - he never attacks us although we have had cats with other problems who have. Really the other cats just accept that as his type of behaviour and deal with it. The dog takes no notice either - although she is also greedy and steals, albeit with no signs of food aggression. As you are a novice cat owner, try not to worry about it - your cat is still very, very young and still learning.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I have 4 cats and 2 are food aggressive so to make it easy on all, I feed them in 2 rooms, kitchen and bathroom because of the tiled floors in 2 shifts. They each get 15-20 minutes to finish their food, and then they are switched and the other 2 cats can eat. They are now used to the routine and it's much less stressful for them and us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts