Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can cats see spiritual beings, ghosts and such? I've always heard they can because they always know when something bad is going to happen and such.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I don't know if cats actually 'see' spirits, per se, but I know Arianwen can sense when Sam (R.B. kitty) visits. She used to get scared the first couple of times he visited while she was with me, but now she starts purring, and relaxes more. It's like she knows a good, trusted friend is near. :)
:catrun

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Cats' vision is considerably different than human vision. In some ways, it's not as good. I've noticed cats have difficulty seeing something stationary close up. I think their vision is tuned to moving objects. I suppose if you believe there are spiritual beings about us, angels, ghosts, or whatever, cats might be able to sense their presence. What kind of information they can get from that, I don't know. I doubt spiritual beings know any more about the future than we do. :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
coaster said:
Cats' vision is considerably different than human vision. In some ways, it's not as good. I've noticed cats have difficulty seeing something stationary close up. I think their vision is tuned to moving objects.
I think that's probably true about the moving objects. Also, I know cats' vision is less acute than humans' in terms of resolving details: the price they pay for such good night vision. The backs of their eyes are reflective (that's why their eyes glow if you shine a flashlight at them in the dark). That gives them more sensitive night vision (since the light passes through the retina twice, instead of only once as with humans) but less sensitive detail vision (since the light doesn't go back through exactly the same place the second time around, the details get blurred).

As for spirits... well, depends on whether you believe in spirits, for one thing! Certainly they can see and hear strictly physical things that we can't.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
My mom grew up in Japan with a bobtail cat that could sense things. Actually, it sounds like my grandmother could sense things, too - so between the kitty and my grandmother, my mom says there were a lot of amazing 'coincidences.'

The cat could always tell when the man who sold fish was coming, even when he was more than thirty minutes away (disembarking from the train station, and making his way through the neighborhood door to door with his fish to sell...) His visits were random, so it wasn't like the kitty could tell it was the right day of the month or anything. The family would just watch the cat and know to expect the man!

:) Fran

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
know what i want to know? (related to cats vision). how the HECK can they see onto a surface far taller than them and somehow know that theres something there and not to jump? My cats know if theres a plate on the counter somehow, and wont jump up, or will jump beside it. But how could they possibly see it/know its there? They are like foot tall if that!

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Well, I've seen cats make a mistake and land on a surface that had something on it they didn't see. I think it's a case of they can make a split-second dodge. Cats are very good at changing their direction and landing spot while in mid-air. They do it by twisting their bodies and counter-balancing with their tails. There are some incredible pictures of cats in mid-jump somewhere on the internet; I don't have time to look for them right now. :)

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Cats can react so fast that I think it just seems they know what's on the counter in advance. Like Tim said, they can change direction mid-flight. :lol:

Arianwen just checks to be sure her landing pad is clear before she jumps. :p
A couple of times she stared intently at my bedroom door, then snuggled against me as if she was a little scared and wanted some comfort. Ghosties? I don't know. The only "ghosts" I'm certain about are Sam and my grandmother.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts