Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( I have just received the news that our #2 male cat has diabetes.
Unfortunately we know, all too well, how to deal with this problem.
In June our #3 cat was also diagnosed with diabetes.
Other than changing their dry food to "Indoor Formula" about 6 months ago, neither of these cats have anything in common other than that they are both males.
One was very slightly chubby but never enough that the vet has ever said that he needed to lose any weight. He is an 8 year old American wirehair we brought in 7 years ago from a colony of feral cats.
The 2nd cat to be diagnosed is a 13 year old British Blue/Russian Blue mix we got at the Humane Society 12 years ago. He was always a big, muscular cat but put on a few pounds after starting on the Indoor Formula. Again, the weight was not an issue during his last checkup.

We are very upset that 2 of our cats have developed this disease within 3 months of each other. Prior to this they were both very healthy.

Has anyone else had a cat become diabetic after switching to the Indoor Formula and could this have contributed, or caused this situation?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum! :)

From littlebigcat.com:

"There are many known and speculated causes of diabetes. Genetics plays at least some role in the development of the disease. Obesity can set up ideal conditions for diabetes to occur. Inflammation, whether of the pancreas itself (pancreatitis) or elsewhere in the body, appears to have a significant influence. Certain commonly used drugs can cause diabetes. The immune system, and proteins such as amyloid and leptin, have also been implicated. Research suggests that vaccination may contribute to the problem. However, of all the potential causes, diet stands out as the primary player. High-carbohydrate dry cat foods are, if not the cause, at least the trigger that produces diabetes in most cats."

Read the entire article at: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=felinediabetesbasics

My cat developed diabetes when I switched him to a weight-loss formula dry food. So, yeah, I'd say food was the catalyst in my cat's case and both of your cats' cases.

I've found that switching to a low-carbohydrate canned food has had an immensely positive effect on Sabby's diabetes. He's lost weight and I've been able to reduce the amount of insulin he receives from 5 units twice a day to 3 units twice a day (and I think I might be getting to the point where I can reduce it to 2 units twice a day).

How are you treating your cats' diabetes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2 Diabetic Cats

After the 1st cat was diagnosed with diabetes, we put him on Purina DM - Diabetes Management food. Giving him 1/2 a can of DM wet food before each insulin injection and then feeding him 1/2 c. of DM dry throughout the rest of the day.
He did not care for the wet DM and our vet told us that any type of canned food would work.
He gets 2 1/2 units of insulin twice a day and is doing very well. We just had his glucose level checked and it is "perfect".

:cry: I am very sorry to report that our second cat did not make it. His system would not stabilize. The vets and staff at the clinic were wonderful and tried so hard to help him but for whatever reason, his body rejected everything they tried.
After 4 days his respiratory system started to fail and his heart started to slow down and we had to tell him goodbye and that we loved him.
He went to sleep peacefully in our arms.

I am still frustrated, confused and angry that this happened.

If high fiber cat food is so bad, which I now absolutely believe that it is...why are the most expensive brands on the market the ones that contain the highest % of fiber?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Re: 2 Diabetic Cats

4CatFamily said:
If high fiber cat food is so bad, which I now absolutely believe that it is...why are the most expensive brands on the market the ones that contain the highest % of fiber?
Advertising and marketing. It's all about money with the cat food industry. The best foods are the ones you never see commercials for.

I'm so very sorry to hear about your poor kitty. If you ever need any help or advice with your kitties, please let us know.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
All dry cat foods are "guilty" in the matter of diabetes. Even Purina DM still contains twice the carbs as most canned food.

Manufacturers make more money on dry food than canned, because it is so cheap to make. Carbohydrates and fiber are cheap, plentiful ingredients. Unfortunately, even many veterinary nutritionists still have not figured out that dry food is actually different from canned food, that ingredients *do* matter, and that carbs are a totally inappropriate energy source for cats.

So, things will take time to change, although more and more vets are recognizing the link between dry food and diabetes (as well as obesity, urinary tract disease, and more).

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your cat.

Sincerely,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dr. Jean,
Is Chicken Soup really a good food? I hear so many people talk about it and I wanted your opinion. I have a tabby mix (7 years) and 2 Cornish Rex kittens (6 months).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Good question. The dry food's ingredient list *reads* right; the ingredients sound pretty good. However, I have now had 2 cats refuse to eat it under stress, and both developed jaundice, a common sign of liver problems. Something's fishy but I can't quite put my finger on it. The manufacturer, Diamond, is well known for making cheap imitations of other foods like Science Diet.

So the upshot is, I am no longer recommending the dry food. The canned version is rubbery and unpalatable; most cats won't go near it.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
107 Posts
So, in your opinoin, Dr. Jean, what is the best dry food for cats to eat? Nutro? Natural Balance? Royal Canin? Those are ones that I have easy access too (Petco/PetSmart).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I would rather not feed dry food at all, but the ones you named are better than most. Petco has a better selection than Petsmart. Breeders Choice (Avoderm) is also okay, as is Sensible Choice (made by Royal Canin). Some of Wysong's foods are okay, but their feline maintenance (I think it's called Vitality) is notorious for causing urinary tract problems.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ok..last question Dr. Jean...I promise! :)
Is a "natural" dry food better (in the long run) for the cat than a food such as Royal Canin (high end but not all natural)?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
There is no legal definition of "natural." The maker can call it "natural" no matter what's in it. Science Diet calls one of its foods "Nature's Best" implying that it's "natural," but it is no different from any of their other junk foods.

You have to go by the ingredient list. Here's my best advice about it:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=004

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts